Aerosoft Airbus A318 "Waypoint Not in Database" - Help!!

trainfreek92

I'm starting to teach myself how to use the 'FMC' or 'FMS' (whichever one its called).

I'm trying to do a short flight from Newcastle (EGNT) to Gatwick (EGKK). But when I press 'INIT' and put the starting airport and ending airport it keeps saying "waypoint not in database" - I cant even start a flight until I can figure out why its doing thispost-103067-0-37142700-1411896220.jpg

Please help

!!**NOT MY PHOTO, BUT THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME**!!

Which AIRAC (=navigation database) are you using? Check what it says on the very first page the MCDU (Airbus-ese for FMC) shows when you wake the plane up from cold and dark. Make sure you have an entry in ACTIVE NAV DATA BASE.

I just had a look and Im not quite sure what I am looking for?

The MCDU is not set in stone. All the waypoints and airports are defined in a database. You may have read about the AIRAC cycles that change every month - these form this database. The term database is a bit misleading, in reality it is just a bunch of text files where all the waypoints etc. are listed. You can buy updated versions of these files every month from NAVIGRAPH or Aerosoft's NAVDATA pro.

For the MCDU to know about airports and waypoints, it needs this database. There is one readily installed with the Aerosoft Airbus too, so you need not to worry where you get it. But it may not be active. When you first get in the plane and turn on the power, the left MCDU shows the AIRAC page. There you see a couple of lines of text, the first one reads "ACTIVE NAV DATA BASE". Directly below it there has to be an entry for the database that came with the Airbus (a couple of dates basically, the months for which this database is vaild), or the MCDU will not work.

Alas, there is not even one screenshot of this in the documentation. I will go take one myself and post it here.

Maybe there is a helpful analogy after all. The FMC works pretty much the same way as the navigation system in your car. The little box in the car knows only where it is on the globe in terms of coordinates, it figures these out by interpreting the signals from the GPS satellites. For this information to be useful to you, it needs a (street-) map where it can display this position on. These need to be updated too from time to time, as streets change.

Same thing with the FMC really, it only knows it's position on the globe via the INS system in the plane (supported by GPS and radio navaids). And the "streetmaps", these are the AIRAC cycles. The RNAV waypoints form the streets (=airways) and the airports are your start- and endpoints).

The most important thing to understand about RNAV with an FMC is, that it does not have to use any real world reference at all - it does not "look" at the ground or at radio naviagtion beacons - the whole navigation is "virtual". But of course quite a bit more accurate than your car's nav system...

Btw, did you have the Airbus X Extended before you bought the 318? There were some installation issues reported, where the nav database got installed, but into the wrong folders. You may want to google about this.

Here you go, the line marked with the red arrow is important. There has to be something there (not necessarily the same text, as I use updated databases, but something pretty similar)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]181961[/ATTACH]

That part of my computer is blank. how do I fix it?

You must install/re-install the AIRAC or aircraft (if you haven't bought a new) AIRAC. Make sure you have turned UAC off, your anit-virus off, Win Defender off, and run the installer from the right click menu "run as administrator".

DJ

I brought the FMS database thing from NAVIGRAPH. Its working now :)

Thanks Nuitkati for your help and davidjones

Archived