Looking For a Good Video Recording For FSX

Soar 21

The FS recorder render function won't reduce FPS, but can in fact allow you to increase it. Free as well. :)

http://www.fs-recorder.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=564

Rendering with FSrecorder gives a constant frame rate. IE: if you select 25 fps,

it will render a constant 25 fps no matter how dense the scenery, etc.

So I've always preferred it over Fraps, or at least with my last AMD box..

Fraps didn't do too well on it. I haven't tried it on the i7 box yet. Still use FSrecorder.

The only hassle is you have to record the sound track from a separate playback as

the rendering in FSrecorder is much slower than real time, and it does not render

a sound track. No free lunch.. lol

But I like the smooth frame rates.. I don't like a video with a low frame rate and choppy

video.

Some videos Fraps would be better though, as it shows the exact modes and settings

as flown. So say if I wanted to render a 737 autoland, and have all the lights and

blinky things show as normal, Fraps is much better as you can record as you fly it.

FSrecorder will not save all systems as far as recordings. So I usually set things

manually as close as possible when rendering and I can't record an accurate autoland

as the trim starts chasing it's tail due to the slow rendering, and eventually kicks off the

A/P.

If you want to do real time recording, there are a couple of very good options. DXTory is one and D3DGear is another. I have tested both of these and settled on D3DGear because it had a slight performance edge in my testing.

If you have certain Nvidia video cards, then ShadowPlay is a good free option. Several folks I know make videos using ShadowPlay.

Here are the test videos I made with D3DGear: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD96TYNv9n8LDnGDC-89eVw

Archived