Fix for disappearing textures+fsx amazing boost

Bojchi04

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum :)

I'd like to share this awesome fix I found for disappearing textures issue for fsx I had with many addon aircraft. Almost every addon aircraft would just turn black for no reason. This fix made my fsx work perfectly and it boosted it up so I'm sure you won't regret trying it yourself, it is going to change your fsx completely!!

Firstly, I installed service packs1+2 available here

http://www.microsoft.com/Products/Games/FSInsider/downloads/Pages/default.aspx

Now comes the tricky part ;)

Locate fsx.cfg file and please make a BACKUP in order not to delete something important.

Under [GRAPHICS] add the following section:

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

HIGHMEMFIX=1

STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=2147483647

then goto [Display] and look for

TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40..... Change the 40 to 400

TextureMaxLoad=30

[sOUND]

SOUND=1

SOUND_QUALITY=2

SOUND_LOD=0

then add this just above [sOUND]

[bufferPools]

UsePools=85000000

In the end:

Go to your video card (nvidia, ati) control panel and set.

- Force vSync to OFF on your Video Card

- Let FSX control Antialiasing and Anisotropic Filtering (set them to application controlled in the nVidia control panel and check the AntiAlias box and the Aniso option inside FSX)

- Make sure you use MultiSampling AA, and not SuperSampling or Combined.

- If you use nHancer, set Aniso to OFF (aniso will still work inside FSX), seems to be a bug with nHancer, but I suggest you get rid of nHancer... its evil ;)

- If you use Dualview or Clone mode, DISABLE IT, make sure you ONLY use one

Go to control panel and check if your sound format is 44100Hz

and after starting fsx set FPS to unlimited

Information got from jesus

Please take this actions with responsibility!

Enjoy, have a good flight :pilot:

The one who is worthy flies, :pilot:

:pilot: the one who flies is worthy,

the one who isn't worthy, doesn't fly :pilot:

Hi. .many of those points are already known but always good to have a recap for newbies who may not know etc. .

just to add

"after starting fsx set FPS to unlimited" your fps will never be greater than your screen refresh rate. i.e. 60hz will never achieve more than 60fps, whatever your frame rate states! With the infrastructure of fsx being still being old 32bit etc, it won't use more than 4gb memory, though there are some tweaks to best manage that in a multi core environment. To aid this though by setting your frames to half your refresh rate you will be freeing up your cpu to do the best calculations with the most core memory available and not wasting it on frames you'd never see.

your fps will never be greater than your screen refresh rate. i.e. 60hz will never achieve more than 60fps, whatever your frame rate states! With the infrastructure of fsx being still being old 32bit etc, it won't use more than 4gb memory, though there are some tweaks to best manage that in a multi core environment. To aid this though by setting your frames to half your refresh rate you will be freeing up your cpu to do the best calculations with the most core memory available and not wasting it on frames you'd never see.

While ths is basically correct, it is not applicable to each and every setup. When using TrackIR, the 1/2 refresh rate = 30 FPS is a tad low, especially quick movement gets choppy. In this case unlimited FPS, and lots of them, are preferrable.

Here is my personal, slightly different view on this: the "FPS" number that FSX displays probably has nothing to do with the screen refresh rate at all, they need not even be in synch. Why? For example, because in windowed mode you can get way over 100 FPS shown in the sim. This IMO is a measure of precision, of how accurate the sim is calculating the flight. It needs not to correspond to any screen metric. I think we have no guarantee that these 30FPS locked actually really correspond to every second picture in the refresh cycle - how could they, when they constantly drop to weird numbers below it? I prefer the view that if your computer is not capable enough, limit the FPS to what it actually can do, and your flight will be smoother.

Archived