Windows upgrade?

I have received, as many of you may also have received, the offer from Microsoft to up grade my windows 7 to windows 10 for free. The upgrade being a full and complete package of win10.

I am interested in finding out if any of you have taken Microsoft up on their offer and if you have how do you find FSX operates in that OS.

I do like win10 and I do run that OS on two of my PCs but not on the PC that is dedicated to FSX and its associated files. I fear that by taking Microsoft up on their offer I will lose some of add-ons that I have accumulated over fives years since having a purely dedicated FSX machine.

Your thoughts are as always gratefully received,

Darryl

AMD 9590 5Ghz, Asus 990X Sabertooth, Asus 285 Strix, 8Gb Ram x2 RipJaws, Corsair Hydro H100, Corsair CM750M, 2TB Short Stroked HDD, Samsung 120Gb SSD for OS, x3 ViewSonic VX2370 LED Frameless Monitors. x1 Semi Understanding Partner.

In theory, Win10 is updated 8.1. If you have FSX running on Win8.1, there is likely to be no additional problems.

Here's one person's report on that:

Steam edition is only supporting Win 8.1. Might be good to keep an eye on that.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8701145/windows-10-price-119

"...or build your own PCs, Microsoft's latest release will cost $119. That's for Windows 10 Home..."

http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/1/8696949/windows-10-feature-loss

"Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates, Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. "

Needless to say, FSX is not on MS's official compatibility list which it hasn't been since Win7 because users of newer OS cannot get FSX running smoothly out of the box without some modification.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_install/windows-10-games-compatibility-list/a31335a8-730f-4ac9-8c19-7c8c3a664ced

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

I ran my boxed version of FSX on the Win 10 Tech Preview with no problems. Flight yoke, pedals and joystick all ported over without any problems.

I also ran FSX-SE without any problems other than those associated with the dual installation path issues which were fixable.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I just switched to Win 7 64 from XP. :rolleyes:

It will likely be another few years before I change again.. :p

I'm not even thinking about going to Win 10 until at least after a year or so to see if

any FS issues. And even then I'd be leery for other reasons too..

The only way I'd try Win 10 early is if it came on a new puter that wasn't my FS

machine. I've heard FSX runs OK on Win 10, but I won't be taking any chances for

a good long time as far as changing from Win 7 on my present sim box.

I don't need any unneeded FS aggravation in my life. :(

It is possible I might buy a new laptop a bit down the road as my present one is

pretty slow and puny. If I did, it would almost surely have 8/8.1 if I bought it now,

and likely Win 10 if later in the summer or fall. I'm in no big rush on it. The longer

I wait before buying one, the more power I'll get per buck spent.

But when I break down and finally buy one, it will probably be my first taste at using

Win X.

Archived