"Steam" software also work on plain MsFS?

vflight2

I am sure this question has been answered before but a quickie search of back-threads didnt turn up the subject. At the PilotShop some software is specifically indicated as Steam capable; question: does that mean it will or will NOT work as an addon in an old fashioned MsFS setup?

Doc

It depends.

steam capable = the installer will look for the steam folders to install it in.

The software you are installing itself isn't any different. It's onlythe installation proces.

Steam fsx is not different from regular fsx in how it works.

(the main difference is the folder it installs to. There are some minor cosmetic differences, but the basic workings of the fsx program remained the same.)

So steam-capable means. The regular software would already work with steam fsx, but the old installer didn't know the steam folder existed and did not install in there.

The new installer knows about the steam folders, and does install in there.

--------

But, does that mean it will also install in fsx box editition????

well, My guess is, mostly yes, but sometimes no.

I assume most manufacturers have replaced their cd with the old installer with a cd with a installer that can install into both steam and basic, as desired.

But there can also be software companies that made two installers. They kept the old one, and just created a new disk that only installs into steam.

So, it will depend on the manufacturer, and even differ for each piece of software.

Read the fine print on the manufacturers site. It must be possible to find that info.

Or shoot them an e-mail.

Or just ask about a specific program here. Someone here probably knows as well.

( I must say, I only have a copy of fsx box, so this is just my logic of how it works)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Personally, I dislike autoinstallers. If possible, I point them at an empty Temp folder, and let the installer put all the files there. Then I can place the files and folders where they need to go using copy-paste. I like the added layer of control it gives me, and makes it much easier for me to uninstall software that may cause me troubles.

As il88pp said, the only real difference is Steam directory structure is several layers deeper the boxed version of FSX, and most of the old (pre-Steam) installers can't find it, unless they let you point them at the correct directory to install to. I believe a lot of them have the same problem if you have a "non-standard" boxed version too, however. Like if you installed to D:\Games\FSX, rather than the default C:\Programs (X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX.

Hope this all helps a little!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

As il88pp said, the only real difference is Steam directory structure is several layers deeper the boxed version of FSX, and most of the old (pre-Steam) installers can't find it, unless they let you point them at the correct directory to install to. I believe a lot of them have the same problem if you have a "non-standard" boxed version too, however. Like if you installed to D:\Games\FSX, rather than the default C:\Programs (X86)\Microsoft Games\FSX.

Hope this all helps a little!

Pat☺

FTR, most addons are either set up to look at the registry for the FS location or are set up to look at the default location. Most all of the latter allow you to redirect the install, as do a great number of the former.

The problem with most of the non-Steam compatible addons is they are not set up to look for the Steam registry entries. Most currently supported addons have already be re-released with Steam compatible installers, some of the addons by developers who are no longer active will never get updated.

Any cut and paste addons should work.

The other area of question is addons that use SimConnect to "talk" to FS. Again, most of the current addons have been adjusted to the new SimConnect and Steam includes an installer for the legacy SimConnect versions that came with FSX:Box.

For me the biggest disappointment is that Instant Scenery 3 has been updated for Steam yet it appears that IS 2 (which I own) will not be updated.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Archived