Era 1960s Activity At Florida Keys Marathon Airport

aharon

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Presenting era 1960 airport spotting at KMTH Florida Keys Marathon Airport located along the Overseas Highway (US1) in Key West area, Florida

After starting engines now awaiting for taxi clearance to runway

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/AnnoymousCAYpilot/Eastern%20Part%203/af1_2.jpg

Nice view from passenger gate

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/AnnoymousCAYpilot/Eastern%20Part%203/af2_2.jpg

Starting taxiing to runway

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/AnnoymousCAYpilot/Eastern%20Part%203/af3_2.jpg

Arrival from Tampa, Florida

http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/oo18/AnnoymousCAYpilot/Eastern%20Part%203/af4_2.jpg

Thank you for viewing. Stay tuned for next exciting flight.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Very nice airplane, Aharon, but I don't know whose scenery you are using for KMTH in the 60's. I lived in Marathon in the 60's, learned to fly at KMTH and bought my airplane there, and I can assure you it never looked like it is depicted in the scenery in your post. First of all, there was no "Welcome to Marathon" billboard; in fact, there was no terminal! All that existed at KMTH in the 60's was an FBO (Marathon Aviation, now gone) at the east end, and an abandoned WW II aircraft spotter's tower and shack mid field that was later (many years later) replaced by the terminal building that is there to this day. In the 60's, at least while I was living there, there were no scheduled flights in or out. Marathon Aviation ran a charter business, but nothing regular. I would be curious as to who developed this scenery and how much research went into the project. Your shots of the plane and scenery are, however, excellent and I enjoyed them.

Thanks Lifejogger and KCD for kind words

I don't know whose scenery you are using for KMTH in the 60's. I lived in Marathon in the 60's, learned to fly at KMTH and bought my airplane there, and I can assure you it never looked like it is depicted in the scenery in your post. First of all, there was no "Welcome to Marathon" billboard; in fact, there was no terminal!

KCD, please accept my apologies for not making words in my post's subject heading clear. What I meant was era 1960 planes at present day KMTH airport. Hope this clears up for you. I am using era 1960 planes and present day KMTH airport.

In the 60's, at least while I was living there, there were no scheduled flights in or out. Marathon Aviation ran a charter business, but nothing regular.

Oh darn there goes my planned flight from KMTH to KTPA abroad Air Florida CV-580!!! Guess I will have to move the flight to Key West or Key West Naval air base to enhance realism considering the fact that Air Florida and Mackey airlines did operated out of those 2 airports!!!

If you live in Marathon in era 1960s, I am guessing you drove on highway past many Arrow missiles posted in front of the highway protecting Florida Keys :) :)

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

The ocean side beach, not the gulf side, at Key West was basically a missile launching pad. The Border patrol had a fleet of Beech trainers and regularly flew patrols. Anyone penetrating the ADIZ was intercepted! Those of us who owned planes and belonged to the Civil Air Patrol flew regular patrols as well. I generally flew an 60 minute patrol about five miles offshore (ocean side) almost every evening for several months. The keys were and interesting place back in that day! Thanks, Aharon for setting me straight. That building in your scenery is mid field and replaced the spotter's tower I mentioned. The Champ I learned in was tied down adjacent to that tower.

Hi Aharon...

I assume your Marathon shots were done in FSX... Was the Marathon scenery by Fernando Angel Gonzalez, or some other developer? The one I use in FS9 is pretty good, but not as accurate as it could be. For example, my wife's old apartment was at the east end of the field directly across from the old Marathon Aviation Hanger. The hanger is there, but her apartment, part of a series of two "T" hangers owned by M.A. is not, yet I believe it to still be there. Anyway, without being able to load it up and fly it, the Fernando Gonzalez effort looks reasonably good.

Peer01 and VFR Steve,

Thanks for kind words.

KCD, thanks for more awesome info on Florida Keys aviation history. As for my KMTH airport scenery, it is freeware scenery by software company called Caribbean Seaplanes. Avsim does not have it because it is lost due to hack. You might find it on flightsim OR you might find it using google search.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Beautiful edits Aharon! You always bring out the best in your pics...well done!

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD

Archived