Trying FSX on Windows 10, so far so good

iainso

I've installed Windows 10 beta (due for release in April), and been having a play around with FSX on it. I'm pleased to say it hasn't messed up my installation, and I did a couple of missions and free flights without problem. Not tried any add-ons yet however.

One issue I did have was it reset my keyboard to US English, where my keyboard is a UK one - but this was a quick fix in the control panel.

All in all it looks way better than Windows 8.

Iain

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

AMD RADEON RX 5700XT

That is great news. Thanks for testing it out. I'm almost at the point of deciding to try 10 on this flightsim pc. I've got 10 downloaded but I have to backup my pics and docs which may not be a big deal. I'll be going from 7 to 10. Hope all works out for you. Happy Flying.

Quote: '..my keyboard is a UK one..'

What else is 'UK'?

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I've installed Windows 10 beta (due for release in April), and been having a play around with FSX on it. I'm pleased to say it hasn't messed up my installation, and I did a couple of missions and free flights without problem. Not tried any add-ons yet however.

One issue I did have was it reset my keyboard to US English, where my keyboard is a UK one - but this was a quick fix in the control panel.

All in all it looks way better than Windows 8.

Where is windows 9 in all this ? what year im i living in ??

(i guess i hit the snooze...)

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

They had to skip 9 because of dumb third party developers who read the wrong version info back in the Windows 9x era.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/191279-why-is-it-called-windows-10-not-windows-9

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• 5 months later...

Hi there!!.

I've just installed windows 10 and when I start my FSX acceleration and select an aircraft, when I choose "start flight" I only see a photo of the aircraft (the same that appears to choose the plane) when charging and after that, when it´s supposed to be flying.

I listen the aircraft noise but I can only see the aircraft photo.

I have choosen windows vista and windows 7 compatibility but it doesn´t solve anything.

Anyone could help me?.

Thanks a lot and regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I'm pleased to say it hasn't messed up my installation

No luck here. Most of the time I get the following when I try to start up FSX in Win10:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]182895[/ATTACH]

I am having the same problem. Have you come up with any solution?

• 2 weeks later...

It's a uiautomation core.dll crash (check the crash report in the event viewer).

I solved copying an old 32 bit version of that dll in the fsx root folder. You can find one googling around the web, it was often a problem in Win 7 too.

Mauro

That is great news. Thanks for testing it out. I'm almost at the point of deciding to try 10 on this flightsim pc. I've got 10 downloaded but I have to backup my pics and docs which may not be a big deal. I'll be going from 7 to 10. Hope all works out for you. Happy Flying.

I am also considering going from Win 7 to 10 and have 10 downloaded.

I am an amateur with computers so please excuse my naiveté...

I am assuming that when I switch to Win10 I will have to reinstall FSX?

Thanks,

F-16

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Avalon Air Show 2015

Todays Technology.....

Thanks,

F-16

What is the main use of the puter? If mainly FSX, and everything else secondary,

I would stay on Win 7. Actually, I might stay on Win 7 anyway.. I did anyway.. lol

I always use the best OS for my particular app's. Not the other way around.

I'll probably be using Win 7 until 2020... lol.. If it ain't broke, I don't try to fix it.

Yeah I sort of have the same thinking, however have seen positive comments from people that have upgraded to Win 10 and are using FSX...

Computer is sort of mainly FSX but other things installed...would I lose all this if I upgraded?

Just considering the options...not upgrading at this stage..

Thanks,

F-16

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Avalon Air Show 2015

Todays Technology.....

Thanks,

F-16

No when you upgrade you will not need to reinstall FSX or anything else. You may just need to clear the Shaders folder and let FSX build new files and make sure to update your video card drivers to the latest Win 10 version.

If things weren't broke we would still be using Win 3.1 because there was nothing wrong with that either. The same for the horse and buggy. Join us in the 21st century.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Ok thanks....so I don't lose anything but need to update video card drivers...

I can still use the same card right?

Sorry...very amateur.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

F-16 Fighting Falcon

Avalon Air Show 2015

Todays Technology.....

• 4 months later...
Guest powhog19

I have windows 10. I have tried to download new planes onto FSX. Most of them download just fine. However the cockpit panel and the outside textures are blank (or white). Does anyone know how I can get them to show up? I have downloaded planes to windows 7 before and everything worked.

On another note: I am able to download textures to default planes in FSX and they show up just fine. Any ideas on how to get the newly downloaded planes working with textures? Your help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Archived