If there's ever going to be a new MSFS, what would you like to see?

chrisjfinlay

First off, I don't really understand the terms of Dovetail's agreement with Microsoft. I don't know if the franchise will continue, or if Lockheed's agreement for Prepar-3D means they can't. But if they could, what would be your biggest requirement? Mine are:

1. Better introductory tutorials that give a clearer idea of dealing with ATC and flying IFR. All the ATC examples in the missions use pre-recorded, specific examples that don't translate to dealing with the ATC in free flight at all. There's also pretty much no IFR tutorial at all.

2. Better ground textures for major areas. I know there's a huge community based around free and paid scenery, and I'm not saying put them out of business - but 8/9 years on from the launch of FSX, surely it's possible to bundle better ground meshes and more accurate representations of areas with the product. Maybe strike a licensing deal with some of the big names? I'd happily pay and extra £10-15 for a "fuller" version.

3. A better default selection of planes. I've warmed to some of FSX's default planes lately, thankfully - but it always felt like it was lacking some major players.

4. And on the note of planes: Re-work how add-on scenery and planes etc are handled. Most downloads I've had have been kind enough to give a readme explaining what goes where, but when it comes to removing them later if you don't want/like them? That's a nightmare, trying to remember. In a game where mods are such a big part of the experience, a dedicated mod/add-on manager is a MUST.

Actually, seems I'm demanding a LOT...

When you install a freeware aircraft, scenery, put the readme in the folder. That helps when uninstalling. Also, keep the .zip you downloaded. Effects etc don't need to be uninstalled. You can hide a plane instead, by changing 'panel=' to 'panel=none' in the aircraft.cfg file, edit for each of the defined paints.

Scenery you can disable in the scenery library. No need to even remove files.

Changing airports would have to be done by hand for each one (that's why addons cost money, around $25 each). There is, I'm guessing, around 10.000 airports.

What you propose is not a small change. It would mean starting from scratch. And the resulting program would be very similar to p3d. No need to re-invent the wheel.

FsNext, in full hd textures, all new aircraft, etc, would get very expensive. Possibly not even economically viable. And, no matter how much 'they' put into it, FsNext will still be 'just another game'. Nice, fun, sure. But that's it. It's not real flying. Soon you will be asking for Fs11Next...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding user guide, next time you start fsx, click on learning center, and spend some time reading. Every real pilot starts out learning the theory before he is ever allowed to even get near an airplane.

Also, it's a simulator! That means everything you read about real world aircraft can be directly applied to flying in fsx. Plenty to find on the www.:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

. A better default selection of planes. I've warmed to some of FSX's default planes lately, thankfully - but it always felt like it was lacking some major players.

That's one thing I miss about FS9----the default 777. Loved that bird!

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

ATC voices that change with regions. Sounds odd listening to an English accent (and the same one throughout the flight) when flying, say, in India, or France. All would need to speak English, of course, just the accents need to change. I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to achieve.

Automatic saving of flight at perhaps 5 minute intervals.

I may be wrong, but I thought FSUIPC had this facility.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

I just purchased a high end rig dedicated for FSX and while the performance is spectacular to what I had; I am disappointed it isn't better.

I know all about FSX being a 32 bit system, ram use, etc,etc.

The 'next' FS needs to be 64 bit and specifically geared to port over from FSX.

Now, that is a lot!

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz LGA 1150 PNY GeForce GTX 780 3072MB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video

Gigabit Z97 Gaming 3 LGA 1150 ATX Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600

SanDisk 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State

The 'next' FS needs to be 64 bit and specifically geared to port over from FSX.

You got it just right. A true 64-bit app is the only way to get all those things that everyone is asking for; the memory use limitation of a 32-bit app just won't allow for the goodies and eye candy. I think Orbx has pushed FSX scenery about as far as it can go but without more useable memory there are still stutters and blurries and etc.

My guess is that we'd be looking at a new developer with very, very deep pockets that would be willing to take the risk. And, of course, be able to find a way around Microsoft's lock on it proprietary code. Good luck with that! A completely new app would be a huge undertaking and making it capable of porting FSX stuff would be a real challenge. Is there anybody out there with a spare $100M or so?

You are all dreaming, there is no money it it for them. There is a better chance that the world will live in peace than MS ever doing another flight sim.
Intel 4790k@ 4.6 1.223V Gigabyte GAZ87X-UD3H, Gigabyte GTX 680 2Gig GPU, 8 Gig Cas 11 2100 Mhz ram, Win 7 64 Bit

It is going to take more than a 64bit program. It is going to take a complete rebuild of the sims engines, one that will break backwards compatibility.

Say goodbye to all your addons, you will have to start from scratch.

I think Microsoft knew this and that is why they got out of the sim market.

The next step in advancement would have cost too much to turn a profit at entertainment price points.

As much as many simmers hate to admit, there just are not that many of us.

peace,

the Bean

WWOD---What Would Opa Do? Farewell, my freind (sp)

Never argue with idiots.

They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Much of what people are asking for is available in add-ons.

By providing a basic sim and extend it with add-ons, the simulation purchase is less expensive and takes less time to produce. If everything everyone wanted was included in the base package, it would take 15 years to produce and cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

64 bit would be nice, but the sim works fine as it is. After eight years, I'm not holding my breath any longer.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

What would I like to see?

A way to bring young blood into this hobby. I'm guilty of getting on in years, but even I have the eyes to admit that the flight simulation world seems to be inhabited by the vertically challenged brigade;). Again, guilty as charged:D!

We need a way to bring the youngsters in, otherwise it (flight simulation) is just going to keep getting smaller. A smaller user-base results in less sales, which in turn results in less add-ons.

We could argue that we need this and that enhancement added to the next (possible) version of MSFS, but all these 'wished for' enhancements are immaterial unless we have the users.

W33

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

1. Aircraft with real world airline logos. Yeah, I know I can download them, but it would be nice to have them included in the game like American Airlines and Delta. Planes might get to where there going on time that way.

2. A mode where you fly for an airline. Whether it be the current faux airlines on disc or actual airlines, it would be nice to have the chance to experience what it's like to transport a plane load of passengers. Maybe have a list of flights to choose from and start with an empty plane, get everyone boarded, start the engines, taxi and take off.

3. Start a flight with the engines off! I know when pilots go to their plane, it isn't started. Why does it have to be in game?

4. Co-pilot. It's creepy to see your co-pilot sitting next to you from outside the plane, then go into the cockpit and he disappears. Maybe as a bonus you could give him basic orders.

5. An easier failure menu. This is just me but I'm not exactly sure how to set failures for a flight. I've done it a couple of times but I generally don't mess with it because I do it once, then I forget. Actually, scratch this one. Imma google it.

First off, I don't really understand the terms of Dovetail's agreement with Microsoft. I don't know if the franchise will continue, or if Lockheed's agreement for Prepar-3D means they can't. But if they could, what would be your biggest requirement?

&...

Also, it's a simulator! That means everything you read about real world aircraft can be directly applied to flying in fsx.

Actually, quite simple to understand!!.

1. Dovetail's agreement with Microsoft is to redistribute FSX with mods to allow it to work within the Steam system such as multiplayer & DLC's.

2. Lockheed Martin has the licence for ESP, the pro/commercial version of FSX.

3. FSX originally come from ACES GAMING studio.

I'ts a simulator because our imagination & our add-ons make up believe & be passionate about our hobby.

4. Dovetail released FSX through Steam.. the largest gaming market & distributor.

5. Lockheed Martin modifies P3d (about 10x so far) as a simulator not for entertainment, & is licensed as a training device with the correct specified hardware.

6. The Microsoft franchise is obviously dead in the water & no more.

They still have various products that could be licensed out... Dovetail talks about their own flying game that would be based on MS's flight technology. This could use anything from what is left over at MS, including the Flight! engine. Probably, it that is used, then add-ons could be via DLC's only (just a thought!).

So, what do we really want/demand?

Something that will keep us from being bored & busy enough to stop demanding, stop sending petitions to Microsoft, & something to keep us busy flying & learning.

Remember, our hobby is built on those amazing add-ons of whatever type, planes, boats, cars, that keep our imagination going!.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

2. ... ESP, the pro/commercial version of FSX.

Not really, MS ESP is a "PC-based visual simulation software platform"

ESP enables the innovative use of visual simulation for immersive learning and decision-making, supports PC-based commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) hardware and software, and enables simulations to be built faster and more cost-effectively. Simulations built on the Microsoft ESP platform will help government, commercial and academic organizations apply immersive games-based technology and interactive learning experiences to improve work-force readiness and increase operational excellence

http://news.microsoft.com/2007/11/14/microsoft-esp-debuts-as-a-platform-for-visual-simulation/

6. The Microsoft franchise is obviously dead in the water & no more.

MS is holding on to the name "Microsoft Flight Simulator", but if they do decide to get back into the flight simulator business some day, I seriously doubt this new simulator would have much in common with FSX or its predecessors (read, forget all about your present day add-ons).

I got tired of all the CTD's and OOM's in FSX. It just got so bad I didn't know if my flight would finish half the time. I switched to P3D. Now its back to flying and having fun.

I would like to see in a flightsim future more add-ons for smaller regional airports.

Archived