VOR/DME issue in C172 glass cockpit?

theskunk

Been playing around learning more about VOR navigations.

I usually use the FSX C172 glass cockpit- seems like I can use the CDI to navigate to the VOR with no problem, but I can't get DME information from it (I confirmed it is a VOR-DME that I'm setting).

When I use the VOR as a GPS waypoint I can get it, and when I use the standard C172 cockpit there is no problem.

Has anyone encountered or heard of this before? I can't tell if I'm doing something wrong or if it's a bug in FSX.

• 11 months later...

It's not a perfect solution but you can add the DME to the 2D radios panel easily enough.

-make a copy of Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\C172\panel.G1000\panel.cfg, name the copy panel.cfg.orig (this is your backup)

-start Notepad and drag the remaining panel.cfg from the explorer window into the Notepad window. Find the [Window01] section, it should look like this:

[Window01]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=2,2,2
size_mm=156,48
position=8
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
zorder=1
windowsize_ratio=1.60
window_pos=0.756,0.275
gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,0,0,156,48

Replace everything above with this:

[Window01]
BACKGROUND_COLOR=0,0,0
size_mm=348,194
position=0
visible=0
ident=RADIO_STACK_PANEL
windowsize_ratio=1.00
window_pos=0.0088,0.0528
window_size=0.1813,0.1796
gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME,  0,0,348,90
gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP,   0,90,348,104

-Save the panel.cfg in Notepad, start the sim and press Shift+2

Jim

Yep, should work fine for the Baron too. Only thing you need to watch out for is that [Window01] is defined as the radio stack in the panel.cfg (and it is in the Baron G1000 and I believe any other default plane so go for it).

For some addon aircraft the radio stack might possibly be something other than [Window01] so in that case you'd just need to change the window number to match whatever you're replacing.

Jim

Archived