Which Drive for FSX

redhead666

I have just ordered a new computer for running FSX. it will have as first drive a 500GB EVO SSD and as second drive a Seagate 1000GB SSHD Hybrid Drive. I am told by a relative who is a computer programmer that both WIN 7 64 and FSX should be installed on the SSD and all other stuff on the second SSHD drive.

I have read that FSX and Windows should be on separate drives with Windows on the SSD and FSX on the second SSHD drive. What do the forum experts think?

Bob

Smart relative! :D Both Windows and FSX on the SSD. Separate SSDs are best, but...

It is my understanding that the SSD cache on those Hybrids store used data for quick re-access. Unless you fly in circles, that used data won't be called again, causing it to be accessed from the much slower mechanical portion of the drive...Don

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

With that size of SSD you can certainly put them both on the same drive. A year or two ago you would probably have put Windows on a smaller SSD (128G maybe?) and programs like FSX that tend to grow from added scenery and aircraft on a second larger drive. I've also read that you should not put FSX under "Program Files (x86)" but rather put it in the root --> C:\FSX

Well thanks chaps. Actually I have modified my computer spec to include a second SSD, so Windows will go on the primary drive 250GB and FSX will go on the second drive a 500GB SSD. My third drive, the 1000GB SSHD will be used for all other storage purposes plus any very large FSX scenery files.

Bob

A common mistake made in the past with dedicating small drives or partitions to Windows needlessly prevents the OS from growing which it always does. Temporary files, user files, configs, downloads, updates, installers, SDKs, backups, archives, runtimes, the list in nearly endless. I'm glad people are getting away from this.

-Pv-

2 carrot salad, 10.41 liter bucket, electric doorbell, 17 inch fan, 12X14, 85 Dbm

From time to time you should clean up the C: drive, where tons of files become scattered around. I usually do this after running Windows Update. I then first use the built-in disk cleanup tool in Windows, then I use Ccleaner to clean the disk and then the registry, and finally I use Eusing's Registry Cleaner and Defragger to clean the registry.

Jorgen

Archived