Horizon Playsims VFR scenery location

kc110

I have FSX and installed Horizon, Playsims VFR scenery, Vol 1, Generation X, version 3 and all is working well.

I downloaded FSX steam the other day and now want to install the aforementioned scenery to steam.

However, with my limited knowledge of the file structure, I am having problems.

In FSX boxed the scenery files only seem to be in a "Playsims" folder which is not under MS Flight Simulator folder.

Is that correct? I must have added them correctly a couple of years ago.

If so, I was hoping to use the same installation/location, i.e. not reinstall all four discs. But, on going to the "Add Scenery" function in Steam, the file does not appear in the "directory" drop down box!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin

FSX and its Steam counterpart is happy to read scenery wherever you put it - different folder, different drive, anywhere. It's just a case of pointing the scenery library to the right place and ensuring that your scenery is above the mesh and below your airports.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Ian,

Thanks for your reply. It confirms that my thoughts were in the right direction.

However, I get 20 error messages for the 20 files similar to:-

SCENERY.CFG file error. Local scenery directory.

(..\..\..\..\Playsims\VFRGenX\Volume1\Area1\Vectors

In scenery AREA.129 not found. Click OK to continue.

It must be just an incorrect file path? (20 of them) Or maybe I am missing something fundamental.

You can either correct the paths by editing the scenery.cfg or you can edit the entries from within the scenery library.

If you want to, you could even delete all of the scenery entries in the scenery library and re add them manually - just note down what order they appear in the library and ensure that you re enter them in the same order.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just back from the Xmas grocery shopping. B chaos!!!!!!

Time to get airborne for a bit of P&Q.

I copy and pasted the complete Playsims folder to the Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX folder. When I started FSX Steam a "Completing set up generating scenery files index" message appeared. Then building databases.

All without any further tweaking and it's all working fine.

Thanks again Ian.

Whenever I opened the add scenery box it always pointed me to the Steam\Steamapps\Common\FSX folder automatically.

Could that be a Dovetail tweak?

Certainly looks like a Steam tweak. Clearly one of the config files is pointing there, but it doesn't really matter where it points, scenery can go anywhere.

e.g. Most of my scenery is actually on a separate partition of my SSD.

Glad you got it all working OK.

IAN

I know I have duplicated about 30gb of data by copy and pasting but:

1. I have the space

and

2. I am still using the boxed version as well.

So it works for me.

I do not know how I could use a shortcut instead, but would welcome advice on a more efficient method.

Cheers

Archived