Rex Essentials HD plus Overdrive

avallillo

Tempted as I often am by a "good deal", and beguiled by some of the screenshots around here that seem to have been run through the chroma key process with an 4K HD sky backdrop, I sprung for Rex Essentials HD plus Overdrive the other day at around half price (Finally - Black Friday sales for the rest of us!!)

I wasn't sure what to expect, particularly with respect to frame rates. I was hoping that the hit might not be too bad, but unfortunately it is fairly significant. I have an i7/3770 at 3.4, with 16gb ram and a GeForce GT620. Not a gaming hot rod, to be sure, but no slouch either. I could get 30fps out of FSX just about everywhere except in Manhattan with that Drzeweicki scenery, where I could get around 20.

With Rex, and not using the really HD cloud types, the frame rates drop to a barely useable 8-13 when the view in question includes much of the sky and clouds. The clouds are great, to be sure, but at those frame rates there is a bit of stuttering going on. Due in part to my long experience back in the day with the Sublogic version for Atari, I am used to stuttering displays and I can fly with frame rates as low as 5-8, but it isn't realistic nor is it particularly enjoyable!

Is there anything I can do to improve this? I am not using Rex's HD textures, only the 1024 versions.

I have a quad core system that's maybe only half as good as yours, it runs at 3.6 gigs, with a nVidia GT750 graphics card installed . I do also have the Drzeweicki NY airports and scenery.

I do not get the 20 fps' you get around Manhattan now, as I do around 15 fps tops there.

Conversely, my REX ES+OD doesn't affect the fps' nearly as bad as yours is now.

(Yes, the graphics card issue is irrelevant here now, as FSX is more cpu-intensive than gpu. Still doesn't hurt to have a decent graphics card though.)

If I run FSX with or without REX, the fps difference is barely noticable. Very little stutters (if any) with REX. I also use the REX default 1024 textures.

The clouds are nice indeed, but I like the REX for the weather and the other textures it provides. My REX clouds aren't set for high detail, so that helps out my fps situation a lot. That said, the "simpler" REX clouds still look much nicer than default clouds imo.

You got a heck of a deal at the Black Friday sale, nicely done sir:cool:. Imo it is worth having -even at full retail price.

I know this reply wasn't much help, and maybe someone else here can help you better with your REX settings.

Also, do go and post this issue in the REX forums, as they can definitely steer you in the right direction to getting those fps' down.

The support team there is second to none. They won't ignore you, and they don't resolve anything until your problem is solved.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

my flight simming system: Windows 10 CyberPower PC i5 6600k 3.5 gHz, Gigabyte NVidia GTX 970 graphics, with FSX, FSXSE and P3D all installed side-by-side on a Crucial 525 SSD. Dual monitors, with a Saitek X52 joystick w/ rudder pedals for controls. It's all powered by a Thermaltake TR2 Gold 700W power supply sitting in a Thermaltake Chaser MK-1 case.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I wound up also getting something called FSPS Booster and it actually has given me some improvements, as it apparently has for others who have reviewed it. REX is working on it too, so all in all I am satisfied!

Hi avallilo, I answered your post in our forum in regards to FPS.

Cheers!

• 7 months later...
does anyone has the SP3? I had to uninstall my rex essential plus overdrive but I did not backup the SP and I cannot now get the SP3 even from the REX forum, anyone pls?

thanks

Why can't you download the SP from the forum?

does anyone has the SP3? I had to uninstall my rex essential plus overdrive but I did not backup the SP and I cannot now get the SP3 even from the REX forum, anyone pls?

thanks

If you bought it from Flight Sim Store, you can down load the whole thing again which will include SP3. Huge download but well worth it.

Archived