Earth Simulations - I can't get support

Fly_Bob_Fly

Hi

I don't want to be a whinger who expects 24/7 support for a £30 product, but I have posted 2 support questions to Earth Simulations through their forum a couple of weeks ago and have had no reply. Does anyone know of another route to contact them.

I'm a casual simmer and really like their products - and I think I've bought them all, so I'm hoping that by expecting a bit of support I'm not being unreasonable.

Fly Bob Fly, which of their products do you need support for anyway, and what's the nature of the problem? Maybe other Earth Sim users will see this thread and give you advice.

PS- I see you're in Leics, I was born and bred in Leicester and lived there for 50-odd years, my r/c model plane wrecks are scattered all over the county..:)

Thanks Alv. I did post it through their support ticket system and got an auto reply email acknowledgement, and that was it!

Hi Scatterbrainkid. I shall take you advice and post the main question here and see if anyone knows. So, as sent to Earth Simulations:

--Starts--

Hi.

I'm doing a reinstall of all m sim stuff, including Treescapes 1,2,3. I also have Horizon VF scenery which I installed in a non standard location.

Your instructions say that I should manually copy across the files in the texture folders, the paths to which should be the same for both treescapes and horizon. However, I do not appear to have a 'Textures' folder in Horizon. Should I copy you entire 'texture' folder and create it in Horizon (i.e. there will be a Scenery folder and a Texture folder.

The paths I have are:

E:\HORIZON\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\2.4m Photo\Scenery

i.e. there is no 'texture' folder.

E:\EARTH SIMULATION TREESCAPES\Treescapes UK\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\2.4m Photo\Texture

--Ends--

Hopefully someone knows?

Scatterbrainkid - whereabouts did you fly your RC. I'm in a village near Market Harborough and we have an RC airfield on the outskirts. I suppose I ought to go and have a look one day!

Scatterbrainkid - whereabouts did you fly your RC. I'm in a village near Market Harborough and we have an RC airfield on the outskirts. I suppose I ought to go and have a look one day!

I was never in an r/c club or anything, me and my mates simply used any old field we could find, mostly to the east of Leicester.

Some of my planes did 'flyaways' because of radio failure or pilot error in a strong wind and I never did see them again, they could have flown for miles before their fuel ran out and gone down anywhere in the county..:)

PS- i've not got any Earth Simulations products myself, I glanced at their website and see they've got an open forum but nobody's allowed to ask tech questions in it, which seems stupid to me because everybody could learn from each others problems and advice etc!

Instead, people have to ask in private through the 'Helpdesk' and wait til ES get around to replying.

If I were you I'd post in their open forum simply saying "Hi, sorry to ask, but is the Helpdesk working? I sent in a question 2 weeks ago but so far haven't had a reply"

PS again- I just found this ES feedback site and have asked them if their Helpdesk service is perhaps a bit too slow. If they reply i'll let you know what they say-

https://earthsims.uservoice.com/

https://earthsims.uservoice.com/forums/155382-have-your-say

I do not appear to have a 'Textures' folder in Horizon. Should I copy you entire 'texture' folder and create it in Horizon (i.e. there will be a Scenery folder and a Texture folder.

The paths I have are:

E:\HORIZON\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\2.4m Photo\Scenery

i.e. there is no 'texture' folder.

E:\EARTH SIMULATION TREESCAPES\Treescapes UK\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\2.4m Photo\Texture

--Ends--

I don't have the products you have so I can't say for sure but it sounds like the VFR-Gen-X-2.0 is a photoreal scenery and Treescapes is autogen for that photoreal. What's in the Treescapes texture folder, .agn files? Is there an accompanying Treescapes\scenery folder and if so is there anything in it? I would do as you suggested and copy the .agn texture folder into E:\HORIZON\VFR-Gen-X-2.0\Volume2\Area1\2.4m Photo and see what happens, that's usually the way it works with photoreal+autogen - the photo.bgl goes in the scenery folder and the .agn goes in the texture folder. You can always delete it if it doesn't work.

Jim

Thanks all. I follow the suggestions and report back.

ScatterbrainKid - I think I have a piece of an old r/c glider (and Impala, I seem to recall) that's embedded somewhere at the bottom of a big hill in Warwickshire! I suppose that makes it more of an Impaler! ;)

Yes you need to add the whole texture file including the contents in to the 2.4m Photo file. Each Texture file should contain many thousands of AGN files. So copy and paste to the appropriate Volume and area 2.4m Photo file.
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Whooopps ! I posted the message twice :o
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1. 16.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3. Graphics 2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 .... 4 X DELL 1920 x 1080 res screens. 1 TByte SSD + 2TByte internal SATA drive +8 TByte External Western Digital Hard Drives (SATA) Backups

Thanks all. Mission accomplished - I have trees! I actually found a file Install_Into_GenX_All_Volumes.exe that transferred all the files to the correct (non standard) Gen X location. Not sure how I missed that before - but I had installed some more GenX regions since - so, who knows! And yes, it did just create a Texture folder in the 2.4m folder. Thanks again. Bob.

Archived