Gauge Bitmap Goldmine

fxsttcb

While searching for Weather RADAR instrument pictures I came to be at the "Bendix-King by Honeywell" website: https://www.apexedge....com/index.html

There really wasn't much to see until I saw "Design your Panel" on the menu. Clicked it and downloaded it.

It took a little effort(Java Update) to get the installer to work right, but well worth it.

Open up a workplan and drag/drop the instrument.

With an A-Z by function and A-Z by mfg menu along with search, it is just what I needed to help create my gauges.

Most of the artwork images look pretty good. You can zoom in and out for taking screenies.

I haven't been thru the exhaustive list yet. There are 1,551 files in 135 Mfg folders.

Just thought I'd share...Happy Holidays...Don

BTW, I also posted this at Avsim

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

WD 1TB Black(FS98, CFS2&3, ROF, etc.), WD 2TB Black-(Storage/Backup)

Active Sky Next, Rex4 TD/Soft Clouds

Thanks Don... And Merry Christmas to you as well. I am d/l it right now. Does it provide bitmaps which can be used to build gauges or also complete gauges? And can you export the final result as a fully fledged panel.cfg file or it is just for positioning elements?

Paolo

Thanks Don... And Merry Christmas to you as well. I am d/l it right now. Does it provide bitmaps which can be used to build gauges or also complete gauges? And can you export the final result as a fully fledged panel.cfg file or it is just for positioning elements?

Paolo

No, it is actually for designing the real thing! You will have to zoom in/out and take screenies and then scale them again in your paint program to make the basic gauge bitmap.

The needles and other things will also have to be edited. Primarily it is good for having a known instrument base to work from.

Happy Holidays...Don

[edit]I just had a thought...Their webmaster is gonna wonder why so much attention all of a sudden!!

HAF 932 Adv, PC P&C 950w, ASUS R4E,i7-3820 5.0GHz(MCR320-XP 6 fans wet), GTX 970 FTW

16GB DDR3-2400, 128GB SAMSUNG 830(Win 7 Ult x64), 512GB SAMSUNG 840 Pro(FSX P3D FS9)

Got it now... Interesting! One can get inspiration about real gauges and instruments to create in FSX.

EDIT: the idea of a panel designer intrigued me... I have googled around and found this: http://www.fspanelstudio.com/ Does anybody know it?

Paolo

With all the panel/gauge work you've been doing I'm surprised you don't already have it! FSPS is probably the best $25 I've spent in quite some time.

I still have the freeware CFGedit version for FS98 but had to use my old W98 drive to use it...Don

I've been using FS Panel Studio for nearly thirteen years now. As Don said, it's the best $'s I've ever spent. Lifetime (of the author) free updates...

My biggest problem is remembering to check the website every so often to grab the latest update!

BTW, I've "promoted" this thread to a "Sticky" so it will be at the top of the list!

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...

the actual gauge images are in .svg format. there's plugins for that for photoshop and paintshop pro, as well as internet explorer and firefox.

Edit:

the .svg format is an xml with vector data. with a quick and dirty edit of the bell/airspeed.svg i was able to remove the needle quite easily. just removed the last element with all it's children and gone it was.

right now i'm looking for an editor that can display the elements seperately (graphically, not just as xml text)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]86852[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]86851[/ATTACH]

Hi Wyvern. Thanks for the info. I can open them in Firefox and see all the elements. How can we determine what element is what in the files? I also can open them in PSPX or PSP9 and see the whole graphic. Is there some way in PSP to define an element and remove it? If you find an Editor please post it here. Thanks and best regards, Bob.

Update: I found a freeware program called Inkscape that has an XML editor in it. I opened the bell/airspeed.svg with it and was able to delete the pointer and display the gauge without it. I am trying to learn it. There are tutorials for it too. Just do a Google search on Inkscape Tutorials. If you find something better please let us all know. Bob.

• 2 months later...
If you don't have it, get it!!! Simply THE best add on for FS that you can invest in. Quick, easy redesign of panel guage changes / sizes / locations, as well as editing instrument graphics, or creating you own guages by using others as a starting point. I have used the FS2002 / FS2004 / FSX versions for abot 8 years now - I would gladly pay double their asking price.

• 1 year later...

FS Panel Studio? It is a graphical editor for FS panel.cfg Use it for creating or modifying an existing panel.

You can create a "New Window" with a single gauge, or multiples, that can be dragged onto a seperate monitor on one PC.

I don't know if there is a way to network panels to a 2nd PC. Some type of simconnect arraingement maybe...Don

• 6 months later...
Can someone confirm that this link still works? I just tried to check it out and, after some hassles with Firefox complaining about invalid certificates, I ended up at an "invalid license key" page.

It works if you don't include "index.html" at the end of the address - www.apexedgeseries.com,

However, that URL redirects you do http://www.bendixking.com/ and I didn't see anything that referenced gauges as in the original post.

That is the same package as far as I can tell. There never was any "code" provided. The only bits of interest were (are) the bitmaps used, which provide good templates for actually building one's own gauge(s).

Bill Leaming http://smileys.sur-la-toile.com/repository/Combat/0054.gif

Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling Military Visualizations

Flightsim.com Panels & Gauges Forum Moderator

Flightsim Rig: Intel Core i7-2600K - 8GB DDR3 1333 - EVGA GTX770 4GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

Development Rig1: Intel Core i7-3770k - 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD7770 SLI 1GB - Win7 64bit Professional

Development Rig2: Intel Core i7-860 - 8GB DDR3 Corsair - GeForce GTS240 1GB - Win7 64bit Home Premium

NOTE: Unless explicitly stated in the post, everything written by my hand is MY opinion. I do NOT speak for any company, real or imagined...