ILS issues.

Hi all

Recently returned to FSX after a prolonged absence. 

I found I needed to touch up on my ILS. I'm more or less a beginner, but have been able to land previously fine, but now the life of me, I cannot get it right. 

I have followed numerous videos, but none of them work.

Here is what happened - for now I am using the stock B737-800. I also have the rikooo 737-800, and a few scenery packages

I fly with IFR, and enter the headings the controller provided, and descend when I am asked to do so. Upon approach when the ATC gives me the runway for landing, I check the map, and then enter them in my radio stack, eventually I hear the morse code beeps, I wait for the "Below G/S" to light up, and then  indicator to go down to the middle, I ensure my GPS/Nav switch is set to Nav, that my FD is on, and the AP master switch is on, I lastly push the "APP" button, This, from what I have seen should then deactivate heading & altitude, and should line the plane up with the runway, and I would then guide it down, however when I push APP it doesn't switch off the other two, and my plane just carries on. I have declared several missed approaches they all don't guide the plane to land. Eventually after trying, I gave up, and decided to get help. 

I learnt today about setting the course indicator, but I have never had to use that. Usually the ATC's instructions, and what headings to use was enough, and even that didn't do much. 

If anyone can provide some insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much

On 4/3/2024 at 11:30 AM, paul92 said:

Hi all

Recently returned to FSX after a prolonged absence. 

I found I needed to touch up on my ILS. I'm more or less a beginner, but have been able to land previously fine, but now the life of me, I cannot get it right. 

I have followed numerous videos, but none of them work.

Here is what happened - for now I am using the stock B737-800. I also have the rikooo 737-800, and a few scenery packages

I fly with IFR, and enter the headings the controller provided, and descend when I am asked to do so. Upon approach when the ATC gives me the runway for landing, I check the map, and then enter them in my radio stack, eventually I hear the morse code beeps, I wait for the "Below G/S" to light up, and then  indicator to go down to the middle, I ensure my GPS/Nav switch is set to Nav, that my FD is on, and the AP master switch is on, I lastly push the "APP" button, This, from what I have seen should then deactivate heading & altitude, and should line the plane up with the runway, and I would then guide it down, however when I push APP it doesn't switch off the other two, and my plane just carries on. I have declared several missed approaches they all don't guide the plane to land. Eventually after trying, I gave up, and decided to get help. 

I learnt today about setting the course indicator, but I have never had to use that. Usually the ATC's instructions, and what headings to use was enough, and even that didn't do much. 

If anyone can provide some insight it would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much

Do you enter the runway ILS frequency into the Nav 1 radio, e.g 110.50?
Each runway that uses ILS has its own frequency to be entered into the Nav 1 radio.

The ATC puts you on the flight path to intercept the beam if you follow their instructions and enter the heading (whilst using the autopilot of course) ,and if you have entered the

relevant frequency as above , and if you are in NAV ( as opposed to GPS).
When you intercept the beam, the AP will turn the aircraft to line you up with the runway.

Pressing APP button will then pick up the glide slope if your height is at or below the required height, I.e. the height the ATC told you to approach at.

You should then find the plane will descend down that glide slope.

When you start to do that ( or even before) you may wish to switch off AP and auto throttle and land manually😀

I just tried your procedure in the default 737 and it worked, no problem. As others mentioned make sure you set your approach course, and tune your navigation radio correctly.