Can`t install FS2004 in W10

Bwoinbeerr

Hello all!

I`m having troubles installing FS2004 in W10. I am installing from an USB stick, and this used to work a couple of years ago.

When I doubleclick Setup, nothing happens. Just nothing. 

Any help is appreciated much

Thx

Generically, do not install to any "Program Files" folders, run all exe files as admin, make sure your account has full access to the install folder, for FS2004 you may need XP or Win7 compatibility mode.

20 minutes ago, jgf said:

Generically, do not install to any "Program Files" folders, run all exe files as admin, make sure your account has full access to the install folder, for FS2004 you may need XP or Win7 compatibility mode.

Thanks, I already knew this, so I installed to the C:\ folder. Have done everything else but no luck this time.

This is almost certainly a path problem.
You need to make sure the correct path to FS9 is set in the registry for the FS9.exe.

The setup issue off the USB stick is one of the great new problems Win 10 introduces. In future keep using the discs.

Mark Daniels

1 minute ago, Skywatcher12 said:

The setup issue off the USB stick is one of the great new problems Win 10 introduces. In future keep using the discs.

I don't think so. I have copied the content of the FS2004 installation discs into a single folder and it was installing okay on my Win11 system even from a USB stick. Do not install FS2004 into the default path, preferrably install it to a non-system partition reserved for FS2004. Make sure you replace the original fs9.exe with the nocd fs9.exe after updating to 9.1 and always run with admin rights.

Kali

1 hour ago, michaelkalinowsk said:

I don't think so. I have copied the content of the FS2004 installation discs into a single folder and it was installing okay on my Win11 system even from a USB stick. Do not install FS2004 into the default path, preferrably install it to a non-system partition reserved for FS2004. Make sure you replace the original fs9.exe with the nocd fs9.exe after updating to 9.1 and always run with admin rights.

Kali

There are a range of issues with setup.exe's on Win 10/11 from old games. Different problems for different users. You may be fine but the next user may not.
What is happening to the OP is exactly what happens, the exe does not execute.

Mark Daniels

Did you have a look at the properties of the FS9.cfg..

Tried to run in XP Compatibility Mode & as Administrator?

That should make things work.

By the way, in my experience, no need to have a separate partition for FS2004 at all. I have a couple of installs, Golden Wings & Silver Wings both running off a 2TB portable drive, and a 'Normal' version running off my C:\FS2004 drive. No issues running off the portable drive at all.

15 hours ago, wobbie said:

Any word if the OP got the sim working?

I have installed FS2004 using the discs. It was late, I was tired and had no energy to try out things.

Very grateful for all of the assistance though.

Long live FS2004!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bwoinbeerr said:

I have installed FS2004 using the discs. It was late, I was tired and had no energy to try out things.

Very grateful for all of the assistance though.

Long live FS2004!

Yep, FS2004 rocks...