Modern airliner routes.Query.

Hello

Anyone in the know please.

I have been making flight plans for airliners using “high altitude routes “.

Is it the case now, in real life,  with GPS as good as it is, that Flying from A to B is done directly. As can be chosen in flight planner?

Or are most flights still using high altitude routes..

cheers

The goal of worldwide ATC improvements is for GPS direct from  departure to arrival waypoints. However, this is years away. Standard departure and arrival procedures with airway/jetway routing between them will be the norm for quite some time. 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

You mean I've been doing it Wrong all this time?

This is why I fly VFR @ 13K... get me away from Bravo Airspace and give me FreeSky!

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks guys, I have also googled it and it seems for safety’s sake that highways are still used. 
Makes sense I think. Putting the planes “on roads” makes for less chance of collisions?

As Viper says, leave the direct stuff to small planes and VFR with the assistance of Mr Garmin😀

I don't know if this holds in the real world but in the FS world there are areas of few to no navaids so a direct GPS route is the only option in the flight planner;  though you could always use dead reckoning in these cases.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jgf said:

though you could always use dead reckoning in these cases.

Exactly, Now that's talking like an aviator, not a simmer!!! 

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

4 hours ago, jgf said:

I don't know if this holds in the real world but in the FS world there are areas of few to no navaids so a direct GPS route is the only option in the flight planner;  though you could always use dead reckoning in these cases.

Or you could just fly in the direction you think you need to go until Bingo Fuel State, then hit a Tanker or push the 'Refuel' button...

What was that? You mean you don't have a Refuel button? Oh, snap... 😬

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG