Technical questions

hjwalter

Hi all ye technical FS9 experts,

I have the beautiful CanarySim scenery of the Spannish Canary islands but one of them is causing problems which I just cannot seem to get solved.

It concernes the La Palma island with my seperately added GCLA airport, which is mainly based on a satellite photo image and is, simply said, projected on the undulating slopes of the La Palma mountain and correctly on top of the default GCLA. The airport itself works as it should in the standard FS9 aeronautical sense but a seemingly unsolvable issue stands out in a very unrealistic way.

The basic problem is caused by the underlying sloping and undulating mountain scenery protruding through the photo scenery in some areas and especially in the sloping area l between the airport and the sea.

I've been experimenting with flattens in the problem areas because these only effect the underlying mountain scenery and not the photo scenery above it but even allthough such flattens do seem to work correctly they in fact cause worse problems, i.e. that the airport's (photo) apron is no longer "hard" in some areas and also that it can suddenly become transparant in unexpected places, showing the (flattened) mountain scenery below it. On top of that, some previously saved flights now suddenly initiate at the flatten elevation and no longer on the apron.

I've also tried creating an apron at the airport's elevation (107 feet) via the Afcad program but that doesn't even show up, let alone that it hardens the (photo) apron or block it's transparancies.

Suggestions anyone ?

Regards and a happy new year to you all.

Hans

Airbasil_1

Thanks very much for your reaction but after firstly (test-)trying the BGL meant for the La Palma (GCLA) airport and by following the author's instructions, my problem sadly still persists. Trying it in other (default) scenery areas, e.g. in the "World" folder, did not produce any positive results either.

At my Heirro airport (GCHI) there were no issues but that was because I was obliged to reduce the complete airport's elevation and it's surrounding coastal area (= a large flatten) to zero feet, quite some time ago. Most probably for the same issues as I now have at La Palma. However, because of the jagged La Palma coastlines, clifs, etc. and the airport's unique position on sloping terrain, this would, in my opinion, spoil the beautiful La Palma scenery far too much.

My fight goes on, at least for the time being.

Regards

Hans

Hi all,

After systematically disaasembling the BGL files of my GCLA airport, I found quite some flattens at different elevations, some of which were even overlapping each other. The original author had most probably run up against the same problems as I did and in the end had just decided to leave it "as is" and as long as the complete (photo) apron remained usuable without "fall throughs".

Anyway, after much "messing around" with the BGLs concerned and not finding any definite "fix-all cure" I decided to just mask the problem areas with some of my library file trees, bushes, buildings, etc. so that I could at least keep using this beautifully situated airport for VFR flying around the picturesque CanarySim Islands. The GCLA airport scenery itself is now no longer conform it's original reality but it al least now looks better. but only as long as detailed "scenery inspections" are not made.

Long live FS9 and especially because of all it's maintenance and improvement possibilities.

Regards

Hans

• Like 1