B787-10 after exiting runway.

Hope I can explain myself well enough here. As the title says, I'm referring to the B787 only. Does anyone know an easier routine to maintain electrical power with engines off? I've read that after exiting runway, you turn on APU. Then when aircraft is at the gate, and you want engines off, SHIFT+CTRL+F1. Only problem is, SHIFT+CTRL+F1 shuts all power down. The following works, but a few keystrokes or controller button command would be nice: 

Engines Shutdown Checklist

• Parking Brakes SET
  • Engine Generators OFF
  • External Power ON
  • Engine Fuel Control CUTOFF
  • Taxi Lights OFF
  • Beacon Lights OFF
  • Fuel Pump Switches OFF
  • Seat Belt Sign OFF
  • Heads Up Display OFF

After you start the APU and before you shut off the generators, make sure you push both APU Generator buttons on the overhead; otherwise they are not connected to provide power.  They are unlit when they are powering the busses, show "OFF" if not. Poor logic in my opinion, but --

You can also use the  EICAS to view the Systems / electrical screen to see the lineup of the electrical system

After you start the APU and before you shut off the generators...

First, thanks for your reply Mike. For fear of sounding ignorant, where (physically) are these generator switches? Are they the ones under AC BUSES?  The only others I see are the APU gens. See attached IMAGE.

Just below is a section from some Boeing info concerning this:

Shutdown

With the park brake set, it's time to shut the engines down. A final check that the APU is indeed running is made before moving the engine control switches to shut off. Plunging the cabin into darkness isn't a smooth move. As the engines are shut down, the APU automatically takes over the power supply for the aircraft. Once the ground staff have connected the external power, we then have the option to also shut down the APU.

However, before doing this, we consider the cabin environment. If there is no PCA available and it's hot outside, without the APU the cabin temperature will rise pretty quickly. In situations like this we'll wait until all the passengers are off the aircraft until we shut down the APU.

Once on external power, the full flight cycle is complete. The aircraft can now be cleaned and catered, ready for the next crew to take over.

787 Ovrhd Electric.jpg

Yes, those are the 4 generator control switches. However, even though the APU gen switches may show ON that only means that the buttons are pushed IN, not that they are actually running! Same applies to the engine generator switches. You must have already started the APUs, then check the MFD-EICAS screen on the right side to see that they are running and connected to the APU busses before shutting off the engine generators. When you rotate the APU start switch, two APUs start in order, so one will show first on the EICAS, a few moments later both will show running and connected. 

image.jpeg.935cccb3a507a86ef7984bcebeeff7ff.jpeg

Note green lines show hot power distribution, white means not running or not connected

DO NOT shut off the generator drives (covered switches below the generator switches), they have to be reset by mechanics if you do.

Take some time in the chocks to play with the switches and MFD-EICAS to get comfortable with this, including external power.