Reverb G2 no longer the best VR headset?

On 9/29/2023 at 8:03 AM, Buck Turgidson said:

I hope they get you fixed up soon, it is wonderful when operating even on my system.  Keep us posted.

Thank you

I’ve had an email from them today.. apologizing for the delay & to say the replacement cable has been despatched 😀

cheers

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Another update….   the replacement cable has arrived, and this one doesn’t get hot! 😀

However,  I have had several attempts again at getting the Crystal working, but I still get the usual “disconnect” message no matter what I do.

I’m seriously regretting buying it. Never had such issues with any of my other headsets. I’ve emailed Pimax again, but thr automated reply said they are on holiday.  They’re not exactly quick to respond when they’re not on holiday, so who knows when I’ll get an answer.

One thing which might be worth mentioning… everytime I boot (or reboot) the pc,  the Pimax software asks for permissions. I always says yes, but it keeps asking everytime I boot up. Is this normal?

Maybe the next step might be to reinstall Windows. A bit drastic I know, but I haven't done it once yet, since getting the new pc.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

12 hours ago, g7rta said:

One thing which might be worth mentioning… everytime I boot (or reboot) the pc,  the Pimax software asks for permissions. I always says yes, but it keeps asking everytime I boot up. Is this normal?

Maybe the next step might be to reinstall Windows. A bit drastic I know, but I haven't done it once yet, since getting the new pc.

You "could" go the main Pimax folder, right click on it, and give it full control under the Security tab.  After you right click, choose Security, then 1/2 way down, To change permissions click Edit (click Edit).  You will see different choices in the Group/User names, highlight one, click Add and in the pop up dialog box use, Everyone, click ok and you go out.,

I've done this in years past while dealing with permissions issues at work.  Not sure if it will work for you but hoping so 🙂  

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

2 hours ago, davidc2 said:

You "could" go the main Pimax folder, right click on it, and give it full control under the Security tab.  After you right click, choose Security, then 1/2 way down, To change permissions click Edit (click Edit).  You will see different choices in the Group/User names, highlight one, click Add and in the pop up dialog box use, Everyone, click ok and you go out.,

I've done this in years past while dealing with permissions issues at work.  Not sure if it will work for you but hoping so 🙂  

Hi David,

thank you for that. I shall try that once I’m set up again…. as I have  reinstalled Windows 11 😀

Am currently going through the various update & installs. I don’t want to rush though for obvious reasons. When I’m ready, I will install the Pimax software etc & hope for the best LOL

Regards

Steve

At around midnight last night, I ordered a new USB hub. Not the most expensive one available but certainly not the cheapest. I wanted something with a decent power supply in case power was the problem.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B081GZ1N1Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

it arrived today… I plugged in the usb leads… plugged the DP cable into my GPU.. and a message popped up on my computer..

”Pimax device detected” (or something like that) followed by “a new firmware available” 

I couldn’t believe it.  The problem was clearly down to not enough power from the cheap hub supplied. It is possible that the hub’s mains adapter doesn’t work, because unplugging it doesn’t make any difference. The hub’s blue light would stay on, presumably getting power from the pc.

I guess my pc also wasn’t giving out enough power when I plugged the headset in directly, but then I do have a lot of peripherals and two other hubs.

The new 36w powered hub has done the trick though 😀 The headset is working and connected.

I’ve reinstalled MSFS and I’m installing various updates as we speak.

Thanks everyone for your help & suggestions 🙏 

I can’t wait to try the headset out in MSFS 

Regards

Steve