Is real weather in FS9 (FS2004) working again?

ScottishMike

I recently noticed that the weather was appearing again at locations I was starting up at.

I tested by locating myself at airports I have never flown to before (in case I had saved the location previously and the weather with it.) and sure enough weather was present (clouds, wind and visibility).

See screenshots below:

Once located by using the “Go To Airport” menu I opened the “World Weather” menu:

screen grab1:

Weather1.jpg.e0cca70107008b826ffb44f3ad6cb9f4.jpg

clicking on the OK key brought up the expected warning about no internet connection:

screen grab 2:

Weather2.jpg.1006353ab1f6f22d6a763e9922dddaf4.jpg

Then the surprise; clicking on the OK button brought up the following:

screen grab 3:

weather3.jpg.c5464293fae3cf686d53f7cc2521b681.jpg

And the weather was reflected when going back to the main sim.

I tried a different location and sure enough I got different weather:

screen grab 4

weather4.jpg.00d1707b5d53fe32f0a73b16c974c281.jpg

I was wondering if this is happening since I also installed FS2020 (it has real weather available).

So Microsoft must have reached an agreement with a weather provider for weather in FS2020, maybe the servers can't tell the difference between FS9 and FS2020?

Have others found the weather re-appearing? And if so have you installed FS2020?

Definitely not working in my Sim... as my Sim relies to an old server called: fs2k.zone.com. 
I wonder what server adress your FS9 is relying on, if it really works.... can you eventually mention the server? If it is the same as mine, it definitely won't work... 

Sure you can change the server name and check it if eventually works... when using the same server where FS2020 is relying on.... but i highly doubt that this is working. 
Let me know if I'm wrong... 

The weather is not working. Anything below 5 mph is considered Calm in FS9 so 0,1,2,3,4, and 5 are all the same weather. Go somewhere where there are thunderstorms in the RW and see what FS gives you.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png

Doesn't work. Never used it even when it did work as it is "current" weather and doesn't match the weather at the time of your flight. Big difference between day and night conditions and there is no way to sync the weather with the flight time.

• Like 1
Mark Daniels

Thanks for your replies. I decided to do as Jskorna suggested and compare weather just FS9 and FS Global Real Weather. I decided on Bristol in the UK because I know they are having strong winds today.

I fired up FS9 and used the Go To Airport Menu to locate in Bristol (EGGD) this was the weather as FS9 alone reported it:

Screen Shot 1:

Bristol1.thumb.jpg.16a52b0a374483e165d02bd9912efc5a.jpg

Screen Shot 2:

Bristol2.jpg.94373fc2bba10fb600005b59f8bfa1c7.jpg

I then started Global Real Weather with the following results:

Screen Shot 3:

Bristol3.jpg.3aa2bdcd4eeb9fe2c62f27d952821748.jpg

Screen Shot 4:

Bristol4.thumb.jpg.5670f4fbf055975afa830c141ce85d73.jpg

It appears FS9 was not doing a bad job of reporting the weather. Coincidence or not?

Difficult to tell till others also do some testing as well.

Bristol 3.jpg

I did some more testing today, locating at various points around the world and comparing the weather FS9 came up with and weather reported by FS Global Real Weather and I think any similarity is just coincidence, the differences were much more obvious.

While testing, one of the locations was Stanley in the Falkland Islands. FS9 showed clear (no winds, no clouds visibility clear) GRW reported 10 kts wind, scattered and broken cloud, 70 Km visibility.

That throws up another question; how does FS9 dream up the weather it shows? Is it related to location or is it simply a random selection of wind, clouds and visibility?

Hello JGF

I don't know why you're unable to download fsrealwx lite. That should be available at the website itself.

It's quite awhile since I have visited the Fsrealwx website , but to obtain the Fsrealwx pro version I had to register with the site (setup an account)

Once you have done that then Fsrealwx Pro should then become available for download.

It is Freeware.

I have used it for a long time now.

Cheers Andrew

Hello again

Have just checked, the site is still up and running and you DO have to create an account ,after which pro version becomes available in the archive section.

My laptop WiFi is pretty weak and cuts out regularly. Someone here suggested trying Weather 'Themes' that will simulate different weather 'conditions'. It works pretty well for the limited simming I do today. There are many options in the File Library. I know lots of folks like having 'real World' weather, but this is a good option if your Internet connection is wonky. Try looking for 'Weather3.zip'.

As an aside... FS9 loads faster not being connected to the Internet; 30 seconds to the Select Aircraft screen instead of 2 minutes or more. 🙂

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

12 hours ago, JSMR said:

FsRealwx pro version is definitely not free. Nor are the any of the old versions. According to messages to me from the developer. 
The lite version is though. 

Hello JSMR

Both the light version and the Pro version are definitely free.

The Pro version is no longer supported though.

I have been using it for years.

If you visit the site and provided you create an account it becomes available for download in the (archive section I think but will check again myself)

I will take a look and report back to you.

I have used it for many years and paid not a penny.

Cheers Andy

Hello Hello

JSMR

I have checked the the site and Pro and lite versions are still available (Free )but no longer supported.

But as I said before you MUST create an account before the Pro version becomes available for download.

The Lite version is available and no need to create an account for that .

You will find them in the ARCHIVE section.

Cheers Again

Andy

7 hours ago, HoratioWondersocks said:

Hello Hello

JSMR

I have checked the the site and Pro and lite versions are still available (Free )but no longer supported.

But as I said before you MUST create an account before the Pro version becomes available for download.

The Lite version is available and no need to create an account for that .

You will find them in the ARCHIVE section.

Cheers Again

Andy

I had asked previously on the forum about registering the Pro version. 
i was told by the developer I needed to buy 3.0 first and then I’ll get the key to the Pro version. 

3 hours ago, JSMR said:

I had asked previously on the forum about registering the Pro version. 
i was told by the developer I needed to buy 3.0 first and then I’ll get the key to the Pro version. 

Hello again

The Pro version is definitely free.

I have used it for many years.

What would be the point in paying for version 3.0 (The latest and payware product) just to get the key for an older version the Pro version?

As I said before to get the Pro version you have to create an account with the site.(the usual email and password required)

Do this and the Pro version becomes available free in the archive section of the website..

Almost feels like something fishy going on asking you to pay.Why would you pay for the latest version 3.0 just to get the key for an older version Pro?

PS version 3.0 is the latest and payware version.

If you wish to try that then it offers 30 free sessions after which you have to pay or the program or it becomes inoperable. Having said that the Pro version is definitely free.As I said just create an account at the website.

I checked the website this morning and it's still functioning and is the same as it's always been

I suggest you visit the site and take it from there

Cheers Andy

On 7/22/2023 at 11:22 PM, JSMR said:

I already have the Pro version. As a backup if FSGRW doesn't connect. I was talking about registering it for enhanced features. I believe that needs the $$$. 

Hello Again

I am afraid I am somewhat baffled as to what you are asking for.

I didn't realise you already had the the Pro version which is a freeware item.

As to paying extra for more features that is a new one on me as Fsrealwx Pro is not supported anymore.

If  you want extra features you will have to purchase Fsrealwx 3.0

In summary Fsrealwx Pro is Freeware and no longer supported.

Fsrealwx weather 3.0 is payware and current, and may ? Have the extra features that you require.

Hope you get it sorted,but I can't really add anymore to this than I have done so Cheers to you.

Andy

On 7/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, HoratioWondersocks said:

Hello Again

I am afraid I am somewhat baffled as to what you are asking for.I

Andy

i can’t remember either to be honest. While it works ok, perhaps it was extra options only available if you register it? Such as historic weather or flight planner etc. 

i recall it was something like that and evidently I couldn’t access that unless purchasing version 3. 
yes, none of that sense so I left it alone. 

• 5 months later...
On 1/4/2024 at 5:34 PM, Stevzn0 said:

I'm trying to register with FSrealWX, but it won't get past the captcha, It just spins and never gets anywhere. I SWEAR I'm not a robot!

If you're running a script blocker (NoScript, Ublock, tc.) or a program like Ghostery, make sure they aren't blocking the captcha.