FlightZone 02: Portland FS2004 issues

David25210

Hello,

anyone around using this excellent scenery still? 

Flight Zone 02: Portland FS2004

Its an excellent scenery however it has issues with Ultimate Terrain USA, and particularly KSEA airport elevation and its surrounding. I had Flight Zone 02: Portland installed many years ago, and remembered that it had these issues, anyway I decided to give it another try, and yes, the conflicts between UT USA exist. Even with the FZ02-UTUSA.exe patch applied. It removes double coastlines at KSEA, however airport elevation is screwed up.

I don't feel like start trying again all the possible combinations of layering, flattening etc.. someone maybe figured this out already? Anyone could help? Thanks..

I am using both FT's KSEA and  FZ's KPDX.  I did not have any problems with KSEA's elevation but had several issues with the terrain around the airport. 

These issues were basically to the south and southeast of the AP's boundary with some horrific large and deep terrain depressions.  I was able to

correct these with a couple of flattens using ADE9. 

What type of elevation problems are you experiencing the the airport, and which scenery are you using?

Steve

8 hours ago, SCM0616 said:

I am using both FT's KSEA and  FZ's KPDX.  I did not have any problems with KSEA's elevation but had several issues with the terrain around the airport. 

These issues were basically to the south and southeast of the AP's boundary with some horrific large and deep terrain depressions.  I was able to

correct these with a couple of flattens using ADE9. 

What type of elevation problems are you experiencing the the airport, and which scenery are you using?

Steve

Hello Steve,

thx for reply.

On laptop that I test this on, in this area I have UT USA v.1.3 as the only scenery add-on,  and now trying add FZ 02 Portland. No mesh installed /such as FSGlobal or FS Terrain/, or anything else. KSEA is stock. Have just a few airports in other unrelated areas that don't conflict at all.

Here are sample shots with descriptions. I cant get rid of either sunk lakes, or holes in the terrain by the KSEA, or KSEA on small plateau. On the other hand, KPDX seems flawless terrain wise...

How yours looks like?

David

FZ_comppatch_UTUSA.jpg

FZ_comppatch_UTUSA_KSEAflatten.jpg

FZ_nopatch_UTUSA.jpg

FZ_nopatch_UTUSA_KSEAflatten.jpg

I've only dealt with some terrain anomalies around KSEA created by the particular combination of the two commercial sceneries and mesh that I use. Since you had FZ's KPDX, I thought you might also have FT's KSEA and maybe I could help with ironing out some of the issues involved with those.

Yeah, dealing with an airports plateau is another fish, though. The only sollutions I've found was one suggestion of creating sloped flattens with SBuilder , and there is a commercial product, Pilot's FS2004 AFM (airport flattening meshes) that supposively does this for ALL airports in the sim.  That looks interesting but I haven't purchased it because I could not find any feedback about how well it really works. If it does what it designed to do, it seems worthwhile.  But I still see terrain anomalies having to be dealt with.  Wondering if anybody out there has has any experience with AFM or has gone the SBuilder route?

1 hour ago, SCM0616 said:

I've only dealt with some terrain anomalies around KSEA created by the particular combination of the two commercial sceneries and mesh that I use. Since you had FZ's KPDX, I thought you might also have FT's KSEA and maybe I could help with ironing out some of the issues involved with those.

Yeah, dealing with an airports plateau is another fish, though. The only sollutions I've found was one suggestion of creating sloped flattens with SBuilder , and there is a commercial product, Pilot's FS2004 AFM (airport flattening meshes) that supposively does this for ALL airports in the sim.  That looks interesting but I haven't purchased it because I could not find any feedback about how well it really works. If it does what it designed to do, it seems worthwhile.  But I still see terrain anomalies having to be dealt with.  Wondering if anybody out there has has any experience with AFM or has gone the SBuilder route?

Steve,

the flattening for KSEA I do with the software you mentioned, the Pilot’s AFM tool for FS2004. Im not applying FSGlobal terrain mesh though because I remember it was creating even worse mess all over the sim, and AFM gives mixed result success, sometimes OK, sometimes not. The nightmare was for instance KCOS, due to nearby 5CO airport or what’s the name of it the scenery is better without mesh at the end  . I may look at SBuilder. 

What sucks is that while FZ 02 KPDX looks great, I can’t believe that the scenery author overlooked the impact on KSEA + UT USA, because those are in FS9 world really the most popular and commonly used. Stock KSEA is default flight and great as unified test benchmark, and UT USA is as far as I think also commonly widespread. The FZ02-UTUSA patch does job fine around KPDX, but the FZ 02 scenery reaches to KSEA unfortunately…. Oh well.

I don’t have FlyTampa KSEA, although I’m considering to get it. I do have their Vienna and it’s excellent, but maybe too demanding for slower machines…assume KSEA would be similar.