MFD Question

beroun

Hi everyone,

I am working on a convenient MFD display window for 2D panels with selection to select HSI, Airports, NDBs, CRS, WPTs, and VORs. I think it would be usefull for all and easly installed. Although I have changed it a lot, I have based it on some of Ken Mitchel,s gauge xml's. Just curious if  I need Ken's permission. If yes anyone knows if Ken is still around to OK it and how to contact him?

Thanks,

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

I think permission would depend on whether you based your gauge on what he had done (looked at how he did it but then created your own gauge) or edited his gauge to your specs. 

Thanks for response JGF.

Answer is neither. His freeware gauges are unchanged just used in the openable, resizable and movable windows, so that the components can be positioned anyplace in 2D cockpit. 

I did not get hold of Ken (tried hard) but have tuched base with another Comunity Guru, who assured me that giving credit to Ken in my freeware download woud suffice. I obviously did this.

Best Regards,

Peter

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Cool, apparently policies have changed here.  I have created dozens of panels over the years but gave up trying to upload them, being told I must provide written permission for every non-MS gauge I used.

Interesting. I could have easily used my own gauges but cannot beat KMs. Also do not see any policy requirements in the new WEB. In either case the freeware is used in the freeware, so would not understand the issue. Why someone releasing the freeware would prevent our community to use it elsewhere? I am sure all the new aircraft texture painters do not ask model makers for the permission to re-paint their models?

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways

Unfortunately it is often not clear as to what permissions are granted or restricted. And as you have stated, not all developers are available to request or clarify permissions. I read the attached documents that come with the aircraft and have seen a large spectrum of permission statements, ranging from no permission comment at all, to very detailed permissions such as 'no reverse engineering of model' or 'retexturing allowed with recognition of original developer' or 'open use of textures allowed', etc. Caution and recognition of original work is always best.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• Founder

This has long been a source of confusion...

"Freeware" is copyrighted material that the creator retains ownership of, but allows to be used at no cost to the end user. It's essentially no different from software that you buy except for the price.

What would be better is if developers released things as open source or public domain, either of which do allow re-use and thus making it possible for one developer to build on the work of another.

When there's doubt, due to lack of clarity in the original author's documentation, the safest course is to assume that modification/re-use is not allowed. I'm not aware of anyone actually making a legal issue of this but it's possible.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nels_Anderson said:

What would be better is if developers released things as open source or public domain,

So true.

• Like 1

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

Wow, you gents use the legal languege, I am lacking.

I am also enquering about this directly with Adrian from Flightsim and await his answer. So maybe there will be some clarity shed on this. 

Cheers,

Peter Bendl

ex. British Airways