Files in the Library not showing up in Search

joaopaz

Hi,

I searched the site for otterttc.zip 

It produced 0 (zero) results in the file library.

It produced 1 result in a post I had written myself a year ago or so...

From that post I could follow a link and, suprise, the file is still there in the library....

• Like 1

Joao Paz

Alaskan Winds, L'Air Azur

I searched "otter ttc" in 2004 and this file was the top of the list, 5 seconds of searching. It has been stated on many forum threads the there is no file search per se (unless the file name is in the title or body. So a slight adjustment in how one searches, and it is easy to search. Also content creators must ensure good verbiage is available to use in the search.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

I searched "otter ttc" in 2004 and this file was the top of the list, 5 seconds of searching. It has been stated on many forum threads the there is no file search per se (unless the file name is in the title or body. So a slight adjustment in how one searches, and it is easy to search. Also content creators must ensure good verbiage is available to use in the search.

I know you're well intentioned, and I cherrish the positive attitude.

But this is absurd. There is nothing more concrete and specific than the exact file name. 

You were able to find it because you understood the contents... you identified the word "otter". 

But what would you do if the file was named "a56bz37.zip"?

And about content creators... I'm a content creator here, maybe since 1998? I uploaded many files more than 20 years ago. So past content creators have nothing to do with the current inability of the search function.

• Like 1

Joao Paz

7 minutes ago, joaopaz said:

There is nothing more concrete and specific than the exact file name

We all know that searches by file name would be beneficial, but for now, this is what we have, and I have to try my best to make this work until we have that feature.

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

1 hour ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

We all know that searches by file name would be beneficial, but for now, this is what we have, and I have to try my best to make this work until we have that feature.

Again I thank you for your positive thoughts.

But if a file system can't find a file by it's name something is fundamentally wrong. 

Joao Paz

53 minutes ago, Flattermann said:

I found this file here searching with the name  'SOcomplt.zip'

Ant that makes it even worse. Why can a system find some files and not others? 

Not to mention that the file you searched is outdated and superceded by the one I mentioned 😊

• Like 1

Joao Paz

You are right and i didn`t find it here again though I found about three similar files. Why?

Have you tried to find it at AVSIM or Simviation? There I get the name SOcomplt.zip for this aircraft.

• Thanks 1

happy landings! Christian:pilot:

Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB

MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;

WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

3 hours ago, joaopaz said:

So past content creators have nothing to do with the current inability of the search function.

Two different issues in this statement.

1) Should we be able to search by file name, yes. But we can't so we have to do what we can, or search other similar sites.

2) I totally understand that past uploads are whatever they are, but for the here and now, current content creators can either assist the person searching (I started putting the file name in the description) or they don't, that is the uploader's prerogative. 

I appreciate that you are displeased with file searching here, but please do not vent that on those who actually find the file you say can not be found. 

I applaud your years here, as I have been a user here for that same amount of time. I am more vocal now since I have retired and have the time to learn and grow with the FlightSim community. I rarely go to competitive sites, and am trying to do what I can to strengthen FlightSim. This is where I spend my simming efforts when my hands are not on the controls of an FSX aircraft.

Closing my flight plan on this thread.

phrog x 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Flattermann said:

You are right and i didn`t find it here again though I found about three similar files. Why?

Have you tried to find it at AVSIM or Simviation? There I get the name SOcomplt.zip for this aircraft.

2 hours ago, PhrogPhlyer said:

Two different issues in this statement.

1) Should we be able to search by file name, yes. But we can't so we have to do what we can, or search other similar sites.

2) I totally understand that past uploads are whatever they are, but for the here and now, current content creators can either assist the person searching (I started putting the file name in the description) or they don't, that is the uploader's prerogative. 

I appreciate that you are displeased with file searching here, but please do not vent that on those who actually find the file you say can not be found. 

I applaud your years here, as I have been a user here for that same amount of time. I am more vocal now since I have retired and have the time to learn and grow with the FlightSim community. I rarely go to competitive sites, and am trying to do what I can to strengthen FlightSim. This is where I spend my simming efforts when my hands are not on the controls of an FSX aircraft.

Closing my flight plan on this thread.

Let me clear up a few things:

I'm not venting.

This thread was meant as feedback for admins, reporting that the most basic query of a database wasn't working - didn't even cross my mind this was a long known issue.

I don't need this file, I have it safe in my HDs since long - you may confirm that easilly since on my first post here I quoted another older post of mine linking to that file. I came here to check if there were any updates. I found the results odd, so I looked for the original files.

(BUT thank you very much, Flattermann, for taking your time to search the file for me.)

And that is not only the filename that can't be found. If you search for a specific author you will get many files from other authors that may have referred him/her in their text. 

I could verify this first hand as, after replying to FlightSim.com's request to authors to claim their files (not exactly these words) I saw many files put under my name/profile that don't belong to me - but made use of my work.

I'm sorry, but the current state of the file library looks like a big mess. I'm not a paying member so I am very aware that I get what I paid for. I'm also aware that there are other flightsim portals.. I've been using them alongside flightsim.com for decades - and also because there seems to be a common reply here: "if you don't like it, go somewhere else". 

Not very kind, so most probably I will.

• Like 3

Joao Paz