Windows 11

Guest horatiowondersocks

Guest horatiowondersocks

Hello All 

I have recently had to upgrade my motherboard and cpu.

My pc in its original state did not meet the requirments for windows 11.

It now does.

I am wondering whether to go ahead or not?

Any views thoughts etc 

i have seen a few posts stating that there instalations of windows 11 has caused both fsx and 9 not to start in some cases.

Thanks All

Andy

I installed FS9 on my brand new system no problems. Had to re-install a few payware things ASE etc. Followed Wobbies guide worked a charm. Don't think ypu will have any problems. Cheers

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

I've installed FS8, FS9, and FSX on my Windows 11 System.  FSX runs a bit slow, FS9 runs great, and FS8 runs great with a few nuances.  I run each program as Administrator.  Reloaded all my addons without issue.  FSX runs slow because my system is a laptop.

Hope this helps.

Agree with Tom.  Like most of us, we are the Administrators of our systems.  I've had applications either not launch or function incorrectly which were resolved instantly by "Running as Administrator".  Perhaps the issue is one of those many "value-added" features of the newer Windows Releases.

Things were much more simpler in DOS, Windows 3.1 up to Windows XP, but I digress.....

Haven't tried FS9 but I ABSOLUTELY and POSITIVELY HATE Windows 11.
As operating systems move forward, the more the PC is pushed to being fully compatible with other devices.
They are now literally doing things like removing computer functionality to simply allow a prettier looking UI.
Control is being taken away from the user more and more.
For running old software, there are more and more problems.
Windows 11 wasn't created to serve the past and games from 2003.
Windows 10 already caused major damage to FS9 but many of the people who still use FS9 are oblivious to it.
If you thought Windows 10 was great, you'll probably like Windows 11.
If you didn't like Windows 10, you will likely dislike Windows 11 even more.

Mark Daniels

Skywatcher,

How is FS9 being majorly damaged?  I haven't noticed any problems.  FS9 runs great, FS8 runs great, except one cannot "lock Spot Plane View or not having the view gradually  zoom in on your aircraft).  Could you provide examples?

Warmest regards, Husky

4 hours ago, huskydude said:

Skywatcher,

How is FS9 being majorly damaged?  I haven't noticed any problems.  FS9 runs great, FS8 runs great, except one cannot "lock Spot Plane View or not having the view gradually  zoom in on your aircraft).  Could you provide examples?

Warmest regards, Husky

Windows 10 killed FS9 for many. That's why you have Robin's sticky at the top of this forum. It no longer functioned without applying those settings.
People don't understand what went wrong or how those settings work. The settings cause problems with add-ons or will stop them working completely.
I don't have examples because I have a million better things to do with my life than find add-ons I can break to make my point on the internet.

The above is just in relation to using the settings stickied at the top of this forum.
For those who don't need to use the above settings to run FS9, there are still a bunch of add-ons that stopped working correctly under Windows 10.
You can easily search for specific add-ons and their problems under Windows 10.
Windows 11 is worse, the newest drivers are worse for old games and the newest hardware is worse for old games. In other words, it's worse.

Everyone is happy and content as they mostly are in this forum till Windows 10 or 11 eventually kills their fav game or fav add-on.

Mark Daniels

20 hours ago, huskydude said:

Oh.  Thanks for your feedback.

Trying to provide information which is completely unknown to the FS9 community. I've only made mention of this once.
Read the thread linked below and then come read what I write here.

Windows 10 broke FS9. People run FS9 using Wobbie's suggestion because otherwise FS9 will not work.
The reason people need to use Wobbie's suggestions is they use integrated graphics.
For anyone with integrated graphics, FS9 was dead on any Win 10 system.
Windows 10 broke the ability to run FS9 with integrated graphics.

Now, if you use Wobbie's suggestion, it'll start your broken FS9 again and it will work.
FS9 isn't like many games where you can just try compatibility modes and change run as admin and you will likely do no damage.
As FS9 interacts with so many different add-ons, making changes to Windows will break some of these add-ons.
The add-on itself may no longer function correctly or how it interacts with FS9 may no longer function correctly.
In the case of AI Separation and AI Smooth, one you set FS9 as admin the communication between these programs and FS9 breaks.
The solution people have found is to also run the two add-ons as admin and all is good. No.
I don't have an example, as I have stated, I have better things to do then try to break things so have not gone testing to find all the broken add-ons.
The two mentioned were an easy test as I always have them installed myself and I suspected they might break if FS9 is run as admin.

I can guarantee there will be other add-ons that will also not function with FS9 set to run as admin.
I can also guarantee that if you set some add-ons to run as admin or change compatibility settings it will break the add-on in some way.
There will be add-ons that must be run without FS9 set using Wobbies settings and an add-on itself will need to be run with no special settings.
Using the sticky above is not a real fix because if you run enough add-ons, you will find there is no one setting you can run so everything works.

In summary, yes, Windows 10 broke FS9 for people who have integrated graphics.
They now need to run using Wobbie's fix which will cause things to break.
We don't have a massive FS9 user base any longer and many who do use some of the very complex add-ons have moved to other sims.
For this reason, Wobbie's Windows 10 fix has worked for many people here and problems have not been mentioned. 
Some may have simply not realized that the way they run FS9 has killed an add-on they use.
They will likely try to fix the add-on itself as they think the problem is with the add-on but incredibly few will ever consider the add-on may be broken because of the way they run their FS9.

I have had a proper fix for this integrated graphics problem for a long, long time but do need to test it.
As I don't have a PC with integrated graphics, I've never had the opportunity.
It will allow using FS9 with integrated graphics without needing to use Wobbies settings.
This will allow people to run everything without compatibility modes or as admin.
It means all your add-ons will work correctly.
I will at some point try and get this fix out.

Finally:
Windows 11 has shown to be a bigger problem than Windows 10.
If you have a combination of Windows 11, latest hardware and use integrated graphics, this is killing some games totally on Win 11 that could be made to run on Win 10.
FS9 uses the same architecture as some of these problem games so may also suffer the same fate.
I'm watching the forum to see if this will be a problem for FS9 users when they have a PC that meets the specs I outlined above.

Windows 10 wasn't good for FS9, Windows 11 is worse.
The problems these other games now have under Win 11 likely can't be fixed.
Those games may very well be dead for good.

My suggestion is to keep your old systems and old operating systems if possible. 
Win 10 and Win 11 simply are not made for and are becoming less and less compatible with old games. 

Mark Daniels

Hi guys, that's me! I'm Wobbie & I posted how I got my FS9 to work on my Windows 10 laptop.

Since then, I have a new laptop. Asus Ryzen 7, 512GB SSD & Windows 11.

Getting to run a 20 year old (almost) sim on modern hardware has it's challenges, but it obviously does work.

I've installed FS9 on the SSD drive as well as on to a 2TB portable drive per manently plugged in to my laptop, & I'm currently running the sim from there.

My previous laptop had an integrated graphics card & the sim ran with no issues. My new laptop has an RTX3050 GPU, & I've ran the sim on both the integrated GPU as well as thru the GForce GPU.

Some of you may be using add-ons that I do not use & might have problems with those, for me, everything that I've thrown at the sim works (so far).

FSX worked, as did MSFS. I've always gone back to FS9 simply because it just works, the range of aircraft is huge, as is the range of scenery, both real & fictional. 'm using the late Garry Smith's fun scenery as well as Carl Reddin's Space scenery. For me, the sim is all about Fun, Fictional & Factual.

By the way..

On another site, there was a guy with a problem installing the KTB EP-3 into FS9 with Windows 10.

I've just tried to install it in Windows 11, so doing it with Windows 10 should be the same..
1. Extract the files in the zip to a temp directory.
2. Right click on the exe
3. Select Properties
4. Select 'Compatibility' tab
5. Select 'Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
6. Select 'Run as Administrator'
7. Apply & click on the exe to run it.... Install into a temp directory to see whats there, then copy & paste into the sim.

Its actually quicker to do than to explain..
Ive just done it with both the EP-3E & the WP-3D

So, yep, there are challenges with installing old add-ons with modern hardware & software. 

Hello All

By the way I'm the OP of this thread.:)

I have to say that I have had no problems with Fs9 and Windows Ten.

In fact as the years have gone by 9 had got better and better.

It now does what I've always wanted a sim to, more than anything else I wanted Fs9 (or any sim)to run smoothly.

Nothing could (for me anyway )brake the spell  a good flight more than juddering and stuttering whilst banking left or right.
In fact I used to look away from my monitor until the aircraft resumed level flight.
Maybe I am easily pleased, but I still love Fs9 and when taking of last night into a beautiful pink hued morning I still think it's a great mixture of technical expertise to fly and particularly land well,It's also for me a of work of art to.

Finally I am not someone who has any sort of downer on FS2020 as long as we have Sims of all sorts being developed we still have a great hobby to participate in.

PS

Dark humour

If I ever got round to Fs2020 and it took as long to master and run like old Fs9 I suspect by that time I will be heading or actually in the great departure lounge in the sky flying Harp airlines on board a beautiful summer  cumulus drifting away through eternity .

Thanks guys for your views on W10 11 etc

I guess at the end of the day it will be down to me whether I try it or not (that is the question)

Anyway I have a new joystick to try tonight and looking forward to that.

All the best

Andy

1 hour ago, HoratioWondersocks said:

Hello All

By the way I'm the OP of this thread.:)

I have to say that I have had no problems with Fs9 and Windows Ten.

In fact as the years have gone by 9 had got better and better.

It now does what I've always wanted a sim to, more than anything else I wanted Fs9 (or any sim)to run smoothly.

Nothing could (for me anyway )brake the spell  a good flight more than juddering and stuttering whilst banking left or right.
In fact I used to look away from my monitor until the aircraft resumed level flight.
Maybe I am easily pleased, but I still love Fs9 and when taking of last night into a beautiful pink hued morning I still think it's a great mixture of technical expertise to fly and particularly land well,It's also for me a of work of art to.

Finally I am not someone who has any sort of downer on FS2020 as long as we have Sims of all sorts being developed we still have a great hobby to participate in.

PS

Dark humour

If I ever got round to Fs2020 and it took as long to master and run like old Fs9 I suspect by that time I will be heading or actually in the great departure lounge in the sky flying Harp airlines on board a beautiful summer  cumulus drifting away through eternity .

Thanks guys for your views on W10 11 etc

I guess at the end of the day it will be down to me whether I try it or not (that is the question)

Anyway I have a new joystick to try tonight and looking forward to that.

All the best

Andy

Could not have said it better myself.

Corsair 4000X RGB Mid-Tower ATX, CORSAIR RMx Series (2021) RM650x, GIGABYTE B550 AORUS ELITE AX V2 Gaming Motherboard , AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core/16-Thread 3.8GHz base, 4.7GHz, GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8G, CORSAIR H115i ELITE CAPELLIX Liquid CPU Cooler, CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro SL 32GB (2x16GB)

In general for older games in W10 or W11,

-do not install into any "Program Files" folder (heightened security here often causes issues with file handling)

-run in compatibility mode for XP or Win7

-run as administrator (this removes some issues with account control and file access)

-you may have to whitelist the exe files in DEP, especially when file editing is involved (DEP is too draconian, often considering normal file operations to be the work of malware and shutting down the program)

Even with all this some old games can be problematic, a VM install of XP or Win7 may be the answer (or just keep an old system for such games).

It makes no sense to put an older unsupported Operating system (XP,Win7,8.1 etc) on a brand new computer as the older operating systems are not optimized for new hardware, and there might be certain drivers that will not work.

The above post from jgf is very relevant & works!! on my previous laptop , also windows 11, I was running 6 separate & unique FS9 installs, with no issues or conflicts at all.

Regards,

Robin