How to get FS9 to load in Winsdows 11?

JonBuck

What's the trick to get FS9 to open and load in Windows 11? It runs fine on my desktop at home and did so on my traveling laptop too, both with Win 10, but I had to replace my old laptop and the new one has Windows 11.

I'm in a hotel away from home trying to get FS9 to run. I installed it under a separate folder like most have learned to do, and managed to get the opening window to show but it just won't load.

I remember we had to do something after installing FS9 on Win 10 to get it to function properly, but I can't remember what that was.

Any advice ? I'm stuck! :confused:

JonB

Gi'day Jon,

Okay, now you need to:

- Download the FS9.1 Update.

- Install the update.

- Personally, at this point, I prefer to reboot.

- Download the FS9.1 NoCD.

- Install the FS9.1 NoCD.

- Reboot.

- Download the 4Gb Patch.

- Install the 4Gb Patch (store the FS9.1 NoCD backup somewhere safe, just in case ...)

- Double click the Desktop Icon.

- Set up FS9 to your specifications.

- Enjoy.

Regards,

Dorian

Edited by caphavoc

Many thanks for your response from the great "land down under", Dorian.

I managed to get it working.

Really don't care much for Win 11. Getting used to Win 10 was enough of a bother, and now this..thing! Do wish they would leave things alone when they work. Oh well, no sense grumbling!!

Appreciate your help! Thanks again.

JonB

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, wobbie said:

with a couple of caveats.

Such as? Just wondering what issues you've seen. Thx,

Always Aviate, then Navigate, then Communicate. And never be low on Fuel, Altitude, Airspeed, or Ideas.

phrog x 2.jpg

Laptop, Intel Core i7 CPU 1.80GHz 2.30 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit, NVIDIA GeoForce MX 130, Extra large coffee-black.

• 10 months later...

Hello,

I'm still contending with reinstalling FS9 on my Inspiron laptop (it had worked fine then one day ceased to open). I followed the instructions listed here (fs9.1 update/fs9.1 NoCD/4Gb) but get a pesky error message about needing Administrator status. Ha! I am the Administrator. 

Has anyone contended with this problem?

(My current workaround is a complex one: My iMac 27 is partitioned Apple (where I do my website, Internet, etc) and MS (where I have FS9 and GMax). I'd much rather keep the iMac in Apple mode and do my FS9/Gmax on this laptop...)

Many thanks in solving this faux Administrator problem.--EngEd (Dennis)

"Round up the usual suspects..." when installing older software, particularly games, in Vista or later.

Restart the system before and after installing.

Do not install in any "Program Files" folders.

Run all exe files as admin, try XP or Win7 compatibility if necessary.

Maker sure your account has full access to all folders.

Temporarily disable DEP;  if this helps you will need to whitelist all pertinent exe files in DEP (procedure varies depending on windows version)

Thanks, jfg,

Agreed, I believe I did restart with each installation. Agreed, avoided using Program Files. Agreed, my account seems to have full access (remember, it worked fine until one day (maybe because of an automatic Update?). I know nothing about (and fear) disabling DEP. 

The pesky part is everything working fine until one pivotal day. 

The odd part is already being the Administrator yet having it demand getting Administrator status. 

Perhaps I'll try another runthrough (or just revert to my iMac swapping back and forth between Apple and MS).

Again, thanks for your thoughts. -- d

I'd venture to guess that it's the Automatic Updates that are giving you the Issues you're having...

"I created the Little Black Book to keep myself from getting killed..." -- Captain Elrey Borge Jeppesen

AMD 1.9GB/8GB RAM/AMD VISION 1GB GPU/500 GB HDD/WIN 7 PRO 64/FS9 CFS CFS2

COSIM banner_AVSIM3.JPG

Thanks all for suggestions! In another thread on this matter it mentions a step I've been missing: FS9NoCD is a folder containing several files. At first, I merely installed FS9NoCD as a folder, but left it unaffected. However, it contains a new FS9.exe which needs to replace the original FS9.exe. 

I did so and, voila!, FS9 is back on my laptop!

There were minor compatibility issues already handled automatically. And, of course, I must update various aircraft and scenery files beyond the default ones. 

Thanks again to flightsim.com users. Now I can keep my iMac in its Apple mode and do my FS9/GMax on the Dell. --d