Rcomendations for VR settings

In normal PC mode, I run FS2020 at almost all ultra or top end of the settings. I have just bought an HP Reverb and I am very impressed with the improvement over my now redundant Quest. But I am having a bit of trouble fettling the settings in VR mode. Any recommendations welcome, but not too techy as my old brain cannot handle it.

In normal PC mode, I run FS2020 at almost all ultra or top end of the settings. I have just bought an HP Reverb and I am very impressed with the improvement over my now redundant Quest. But I am having a bit of trouble fettling the settings in VR mode. Any recommendations welcome, but not too techy as my old brain cannot handle it.

Welcome to the world of VR :)

As for settings, each system will have a different setup. However, I do recommend going to YouTube and watching the videos there, and then gleaning what will work best for you and your system. Here are some that I have used

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Hi--interedsted to hear what you felt where the significant improvements over the Quest and were you talking about a Quest2 or an earlier one?? I am still using a Quest2 and cannot afford a Reverb!!

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

Oculus Rift 2 Virtual Reality headset.

My Quest was/is just14 months old, and I was considering replacing it when the air link and cable link stopped working. 58 emails to Meta support until eventually they admitted that could not fix the problem but refused to replace the headset. So I had no choice but to go to the Reverb. The graphics are definitely much better and sharper than the Quest, and it is far less fiddly to get it running each time I go flying. One thing that does puzzle me is that a lot of reviews mention a sweet spot. It might be just me, but I cannot see any difference between the centre of FOV and the edges of it. I also found that using a cable tie to hold the cable to the headset works better than the supplied clip

Thank you that is very helpful. JD

Windows 11 MB MSI X-570 -A Pro, CPU--AMD Ryzen 5-5600 3.7 GHz, 6 core, 16G Ram, DDR 3600 MHz AMD Radeon 6800 Graphics card.

Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, Saitek Autopilot and Switch panel, Echo (Arduino build) autopilot and controller, Saitek Rudder pedals. 3 Monitors.

In response to the Quest2 being "fiddly" here is my routine, it is simple and works every time. In general I prefer to fly with the Honeycomb Alpha and Honeycomb throttle set up and I have found the VR access to flight controls and instruments unrealistic, so I fly "blind" and remember where my controls are (although sometimes I can be heard swearing trying to reach the flap settings).

Setting up VR

Set audio to Quest headset

Turn on Quest2

Start FSim and get to a flight

Put on Quest 2 and select correct monitor

Use Quest controllers to activate seat position and start VR

Start flight

Hang up controllers and fly using MSFS Joystick of choice

Just remember where throttle and prop control etc, are.

After flight, end using ESC and then turn off Quest2 again.

That seems to take any hassle out of it. This is just for general info for Quest2 users. JD

For the Reverb, my setup for a flight is as follows-

I plug in the electrical portion (small box with a plug for power, which has a white light, probably not the exact name, but you get the idea), I do this before loading up flightsim.

The VR headset software is loaded, Windows Mixed reality window pops open.

I then start up MSFS, load up a flight. When I am on the runway, I select VR mode on my flight stick (dedicated key). I then put on the headset and calibrate it (only way to describe it( using two keys which I have already set up, for me I use Ctrl and the left shift key)

I then take off, have a good time :), I use the flight stick until I am airborne, have my autopilot set (yes, this is how I fly, lol), then I usually go into rear camera view (End key), or use the drone view (Insert) key

After I land, I then exit the VR portion of the flight. May sound complicated, but it actually is not,

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

To be honest, with the Reverb I have so far found it best to just load FS2020 as for PC mode. I then switch on the Reverb if I have not already done so and press Control /Tab for VR. After a few seconds, the split screen comes up, and I put the headset on. That is it ready to fly. I have nearly got the settings pretty much the way I want them, so I am leaving them alone for the moment. What I am intending to do next is get my old log book out from the days when I had a PPL and retrace the flights I did then.

My G2 fires up with the PC but not WMR by my design.... when in flight sim all I do is hit CTRL TAB and WMR fires up and I just have to put the headset on...... It's been that way since I got the G2 going on 2 years now..... So the VR is always running when the PC is running and never had any problems... If for whatever reason which is seldom I don't want the G2 running I just turn it off at the little power box with the blue light... so why are you pilots disconnecting and reconnecting the cables? I don't understand..... A little confession, with the ultrawide screen I seem to be more screen flying recently none the less the G2 is still running in the background..... Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

My G2 fires up with the PC but not WMR by my design.... when in flight sim all I do is hit CTRL TAB and WMR fires up and I just have to put the headset on...... It's been that way since I got the G2 going on 2 years now..... So the VR is always running when the PC is running and never had any problems... If for whatever reason which is seldom I don't want the G2 running I just turn it off at the little power box with the blue light... so why are you pilots disconnecting and reconnecting the cables? I don't understand..... A little confession, with the ultrawide screen I seem to be more screen flying recently none the less the G2 is still running in the background.....

Its the power box that I am disconnecting. When I am not using the headset, I keep it turned off. For my rig, I have found it better to have it running BEFORE I start the sim. The few times I've started it AFTER the sim was loaded up, the sim would crash to the desktop.

From what I have read, we all have similar procedures for getting the G2 up and going.

I forgot to mention, If you switch DLSS off in the General Options VR settings and run FXAA you get the G2 resolution back in VR cockpit with all the dails being sharp again! It took me awhile to workout why the G2 resolution had taken a nose dive, its the DLSS

Thanks David, I never hit that issue wow....

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz