Installing MSFS

I'm about ready to install MSFS 2020 after a few years being away from FSX. One thing I read about the installation is that you are given the option of how much you want installed. My interest now is the same it was in FSX, bush flying around Alaska down to Washington.

I have no interest in Jets or other parts of the world. Would it make it easier to just install everything and then delete what I don't want, or do a basic installation and then add what I want?

Also, when you delete planes and scenery from the content manager, are they taken off the hard drive or do they stay there and that plane or scenery says "Not Installed". I would rather have the space on the hard drive and use it for addon bush planes.

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome back to the MS Flying World! You have the same concerns that I had at the beginning. The initial installation is going to give you a minimal choice of what you can or can't install, but the good thing is that after the installation you can remove lots and lots of items that you are not interested on, and it does get taken off the HDD for good so you can free large chunks of the HDD. I did take off most of the training and what I considered useless stuff and I'm still removing and adding new things just like we did in FSX.

Welcome back to the MS Flying World! You have the same concerns that I had at the beginning. The initial installation is going to give you a minimal choice of what you can or can't install, but the good thing is that after the installation you can remove lots and lots of items that you are not interested on, and it does get taken off the HDD for good so you can free large chunks of the HDD. I did take off most of the training and what I considered useless stuff and I'm still removing and adding new things just like we did in FSX.

Thank you Valero

What I was hoping to hear.

I'm about ready to install MSFS 2020 after a few years being away from FSX. One thing I read about the installation is that you are given the option of how much you want installed. My interest now is the same it was in FSX, bush flying around Alaska down to Washington.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of flying I do also like.

I agree 100% with what Valero said.

Also, if you're not irrevocably interested in the "steam gauge" Cessna 172 (which they craftily left out of the Standard version), I'd advice you to get the Standard, since you'll end deleting most of the stock stuff anyway, and probably using mostly 3rd party add-ons.

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

One piece of advice I would like to pass on. If there is even the remostest possibility of you ever wanting to fly some of the planes that are only offered in the Deluxe or Premium versions, then I suggest you buy them.

I made the mistake of "saving money" and bought the Standard, thinking that I could upgrade later on for a small increase in $$$. Nope!! Turns out that if you want those other planes (like the C172 Steam panel), you have to pay furl price for the upgrades. Sigh :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

What the others mentioned about the content is accurate.

In terms of the flying style and locale, I'm with you - mostly. I have found the bush trips to be an engaging way to see other parts of the world. So if you feel like doing something else, give them a try. I'm almost done with Canadian Rockies trip in the Caravan.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

One piece of advice I would like to pass on. If there is even the remostest possibility of you ever wanting to fly some of the planes that are only offered in the Deluxe or Premium versions, then I suggest you buy them.

I made the mistake of "saving money" and bought the Standard, thinking that I could upgrade later on for a small increase in $$$. Nope!! Turns out that if you want those other planes (like the C172 Steam panel), you have to pay furl price for the upgrades. Sigh :)

I did buy the Deluxe edition, just for the reason you mentioned, for the C172 with the steam guages.

I am a bit disappointed with some of the bush planes coming with the glass panels.

I'm almost 72, grew up with cars that had real gauges in them, I just don't understand why every year, these new cars put a bigger "TV" in front of the driver. People should be watching where they're going, not looking at a screen in the middle of the dash trying to find out how to turn their wipers on.

I did buy the Deluxe edition, just for the reason you mentioned, for the C172 with the steam guages.

I am a bit disappointed with some of the bush planes coming with the glass panels.

I understand you well, I also bit the bait in August 2020, when I first bought MSFS.

It's still a bit soon for you to realize that there are much better 3rd party aircraft out there (both free and payware), but this will happen sooner or later.

Then you will probably regret having paid the extra money, basically for a Cessna 172 which is not up to the average standards. You can't even open its doors as you did in FSX!!

Anyhow, welcome aboard and happy flying!! :pilot:

Windows 10 Home - Intel i7 9700 4.70GHz - 32Gb DDR4 RAM - GeForce GTX 1660 OC 6Gb - Kingston 512Gb SSD - Internet 1Gbps (test 600+ Mbps)

I understand you well, I also bit the bait in August 2020, when I first bought MSFS.

It's still a bit soon for you to realize that there are much better 3rd party aircraft out there (both free and payware), but this will happen sooner or later.

Then you will probably regret having paid the extra money, basically for a Cessna 172 which is not up to the average standards. You can't even open its doors as you did in FSX!!

Anyhow, welcome aboard and happy flying!! :pilot:

I'm sure your right about the free and payware planes being better than the ones that come with the simulator. I was using FSX for I don't know how many years, when I quit a few years ago, the only thing I flew was pay ware planes such as A2A.

Was the extra money for the Deluxe edition a waste of money? Not really. Where else can you get thousands of hours of entertainment for under $100.00? One movie nowadays is $15.00? $100.00 to go to a concert?