Had to move FSX to another drive think this is for the "techies"

cj75s

Hi Guys

I had FSX installed on my D: drive and windows 10 installed on my C: drive. Thought it was a good idea at the time to keep them on separate drives. I had another drive E: and also a DVD drive F: all Sata drives.

After a while the D: drive started to disappear from windows rather suddenly. I checked the drive with the Seagate software and there were no problems with it. So I thought how about I rename this D: drive to J: and go through the registry changing every D: to J: and also fsx.cfg too.

After many hours I was finally happy I'd got all D: to J: every where. However I did notice there were lower case d: in the registry. These I did not change for some strange reason.

Re booted and attempted to run FSX only to have windows drop the drive halfway through starting FSX. again re booted only to have the same thing happen. If I reboot then drive J: appears again as if nothing has happened.

Now, I have been building pc's for over 25 years ( just for fun) and have never come across this with a drive that tests perfect. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and re install FSX to Drive C: unless someone can tell me whats going on. Is it windows 10? everything else runs smoothly except drive D:/J: I have posted this before but that was prior to my move to drive J:

any insight will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Get an SSD! Do a complete uninstall of FSX and reinstall onto the SSD. What version of FSX are you using? Boxed or Steam?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 32GB Patriot Viper 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Boxed. However I think its a power problem, sorry Luke but thanks il88pp. Its not the hard drive as tests perfect with windows and the Seagate tools. However I did look at the power feed and its sharing it with the C:\ drive so had a spareish one free (shared with a fan) and it appears to be working ok. I did hook it up to a PCie card with a sata connection and it all ran ok with that so have re-hooked it up to the mobo connection and it appears in explorer and I copied a few files from it and still appears in explorer. The nest test is to run FSX from it on it's new connection.

Here goes nothing.

Just an FYI along similar lines:

1. Had an internal spare drive disappearing/reappearing like that. Had an IT guy look at it. Finally failed completely. Just bought a new drive- all OK. Never thought to check/redo the internal connection. Thanks.

2. Had frequent crash to desktop or hangup-to-death running FSX on a separate drive. Ended up reinstalling it on my C: Drive (the OS drive). No problems since.

Dan