Force Feedback Joysticks on Windows 11

Hello everyone,

Has anyone tried using a force feedback joystick on Windows 11? Do they work?

I recently bought an old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick for a mere $12 since it had a broken trigger button. Luckily I am reasonable with a soldering iron, so I ordered a replacement switch and now it's fixed. I also cleaned the running gear and lubricated the gearboxes with caliper grease.

I'm on W10 and the stick is working great (using a third-party program), but I will probably eventually upgrade to 11 once there's a performance/stability reason to. At that stage, I'd like to continue using this stick. But if not, I may just sell it now, because these sticks seem to be worth quite a lot and I can use the money (haha, there's a reason I'm still on a 970).

Just as an aside, it's remarkable how these sticks have held up since they're now going on 20 years old. They are truly great and I now understand why they have such a loyal fanbase.

Edited by KiloWatt

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Lucky owner of a MS FF2 joystick here too. I upgraded to W11 a few weeks ago and just started FS2020. And indeed I noticed the "motor" of the joystick seems to be off - there is no pressure anymore. Even when I'm just idling on the Windows desktop, the joystick motor used to push the stick towards the center when you grab the stick. This is now gone.

I will have to do some more digging / searching on the web... but if this is really the case, I very much regret having updated to W11...

If you find out anything meanwhile, please post it here too. Thanks!

After a reboot or two, and re-plugging the joystick, the motor and whole joystick now works again in W11 exactly like it worked in W10! Seems to have been something odd happening when I plugged it in for the first time or something. So I think it's all good and working under Windows 11.

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, keremsezer said:

Can someone tell me how to install the software for this joystick?

No software is needed. Plug the joystick in and turn on your computer. Windows will do the rest.

http://www.air-source.us/images/sigs/000219_195_jimskorna.png