Hi, maybe someone can help. New PC, Windows 11, 2070ti, 64 ram. Running either with 32" monitor, not 4k, or 57" tv in 4k. Been adjusting all settings to get the right balance, mostly high and a few ultra. No way am I able to get below 95% in gpu and mostly it's 100%. Obviously worse over dense areas but still bad elsewhere. Is this normal or am I missing something? Are there certain settings that will have an impact on gpu performance?

Other than that, all works as it should. Thanks for any advice.

Roy

I think the 100% is the 3D engine, I had the same problem until I upgraded my GPU.... but it can still rise to 100%

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

What is rendering set to? It’s the biggest fps killer for instance. Reducing it (even slightly) may help. Also, which graphics driver are you using?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Me too. I am running quite an old GPU though. GTX1080ti 11BG. GPU usage for me is about 90 100 per cent. It also runs at about 80 degrees C. MSFS is a very demanding program but I still get about 35 fps with most setting on high. I have the latest Nvidia driver. I think what you are seeing is normal for that sim. In FSX and FS9 the GPU usage is much lower and CPU use is higher.

Mark.

As long as the GPU temperature is within normal limits 100% usage is fine, shouldn't do any damage. I have a GTX1650 which actually is the limiting factor on my rig, almost always at 100% - the CPU just normally loafs along at 35% - but until prices and availability get reasonable I'm sticking with it.

That said I get good FPS at 1080p with all the settings tweaked until it starts to drop.

I also see this. Even my CPU is close to a 100% on one thread, with one or two other threads around 60%. And I've overclocked the snot out of the CPU and GPU. Realise that this sim is very demanding on a PC and mine will raise the room temperature after a while of simming.

But I don't think it's too much of an issue, as long as the GPU temperatures are reasonable. I even consider it a good thing in that the sim is making full use of my GPU. So either the GPU or one thread of the CPU should be around 100% (in which case you would be CPU limited).

If neither of those are at 100%, some other issue may be the cause (slow ram perhaps) and you're essentially leaving performance on the table.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Thanks to all who replied and gave your advice. Rendering is at 100 Steve and cpu very low at about 10%. So from what you are saying it's not that bad if gpu is at or around 100%. Just a quick question, how can I see what the temperature is, and what should it be? The fan kicks in as soon as sim gets going.

Thanks again.

Roy

I’d drop rendering to around 70-75 and see how it does. You can always move it back up.

Before upgrading, I used to run a 2080ti but I kept rendering down to around 75.

Mind you… I was running in VR

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks to all who replied and gave your advice. Rendering is at 100 Steve and cpu very low at about 10%. So from what you are saying it's not that bad if gpu is at or around 100%. Just a quick question, how can I see what the temperature is, and what should it be? The fan kicks in as soon as sim gets going.

Thanks again.

Roy

My max temp on the new gpu is around 60c but it's water cooled... on the last gpu it's max was around 83c that was air cooled....... Heat really is a performance killer

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

My max temp on the new gpu is around 60c but it's water cooled... on the last gpu it's max was around 83c that was air cooled....... Heat really is a performance killer

My GPU is in the low 70s when at 100% in the sim. But I have a lot of fans for the case size to keep it that way.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

Hi, maybe someone can help. New PC, Windows 11, 2070ti, 64 ram. Running either with 32" monitor, not 4k, or 57" tv in 4k. Been adjusting all settings to get the right balance, mostly high and a few ultra. No way am I able to get below 95% in gpu and mostly it's 100%. Obviously worse over dense areas but still bad elsewhere. Is this normal or am I missing something? Are there certain settings that will have an impact on gpu performance?

Other than that, all works as it should. Thanks for any advice.

Roy

I hesitate to provide advice in this forum, but I can tell you that I used to experience 90-100% GPU, too. Now, I'm usually at around 50%. No secret: Go to your Invidia control panel, select MSFS settings and reduce the max FPS to . . . well, I set mine at 32. Then, back in MSFS, Graphics, turn V-sync off. Few flickers, and almost no CTDs.

There are those who will insist that 32 FPS is poor quality, but I read somewhere that the human eye can't register differences much above 20 fps. I'm not an ophthalmologist either, but I certainly can't tell the difference. So I'm happy.

i7-8700

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB

16 GB RAM

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

Windows 10

27" MSI gaming monitor

I hesitate to provide advice in this forum, but I can tell you that I used to experience 90-100% GPU, too. Now, I'm usually at around 50%. No secret: Go to your Invidia control panel, select MSFS settings and reduce the max FPS to . . . well, I set mine at 32. Then, back in MSFS, Graphics, turn V-sync off. Few flickers, and almost no CTDs.

There are those who will insist that 32 FPS is poor quality, but I read somewhere that the human eye can't register differences much above 20 fps. I'm not an ophthalmologist either, but I certainly can't tell the difference. So I'm happy.

i7-8700

GeForce GTX 1070 Ti; 8GB

16 GB RAM

AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 LGA 1151 ATX motherboard

Windows 10

27" MSI gaming monitor

Thanks for this, I'm going to try it. I've often read experts say that that fps is not vital in msfs and in my experience that's the case. Before I got this new pc I had a 10 year old one and even at about 15 fps it was still fine, obviously everything was set no more than medium! But still it was good and very rarely stuttering. Although the guys here state that 100% gpu isn't a problem, if we can get the sim to run in the same manner at much less %, I suppose that can only be a good thing.

I’d drop rendering to around 70-75 and see how it does. You can always move it back up.

Before upgrading, I used to run a 2080ti but I kept rendering down to around 75.

Mind you… I was running in VR

Regards

Steve

Thanks Steve I will. But how about Mac6737 suggestion? That's worth a try as well.

Just for monitoring... it's not a game booster or overclocker.... it monitors all temps... A very good tool if building a PC or just finished building one..

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

"Although the guys here state that 100% gpu isn't a problem,"

it's not the entire gpu running at 100% it's the 3D engine running at 100%..... I think that confuses people.... It makes sense to me cut the frame rate cut the 3D engine going schizo trying to keep up with the higher workload... The good news is DLSS is just over the next hill for msfs, and will be a game changer!!

Edited by daspinall

"Although the guys here state that 100% gpu isn't a problem,"

it's not the entire gpu running at 100% it's the 3D engine running at 100%..... I think that confuses people.... It makes sense to me cut the frame rate cut the 3D engine going schizo trying to keep up with the higher workload... The good news is DLSS is just over the next hill for msfs, and will be a game changer!!

Thanks for the clarification. It is indeed confusing.

Fast ram and a decent motherboard will also improve the gpu performance......

here's my temp reading (bottom left corner) this is in ultra mode with gpu and cpu clocked... I also just gave it a jetair blast so dust free readings...... Thats screen flying, add around another 5/10 degrees in VR

temp-monitor.jpg