Why Can't We Make Time Stand Still?

Sometimes, when I need to do something else mid-flight, I hit ESC, then ALT + Enter to go to Windows mode and minimize MSFS. Then I can do other things on my computer or go away. When I return to my flight, the plane is as and where I left it.

EXCEPT FOR THE TIME OF DAY WHEN YOU'RE IN A PREVIOUSLY-SAVED FLIGHT! Why doesn't that pause like everything else in the flight parameters? If you pause your flight at sundown, when you come back after an hour or so it's pitch dark! Is there a trick I don't know?

(Yeah, I know, you can resave the flight and reload it when you return to MSFS. But this usually won't save your active flight plan (see my separate thread on that flaw). And it's cumbersome. It seems to me the hard pause you get with ESC should pause everything. This should be an easy and obvious fix, since there's no conceivable advantage to anyone in having time continue to pass when you're not in the sim.)

I don’t save / load flights very often myself, but what happens if you simply press “Escape”? (So the menu pops up)

I presume that will pause the time?

Then press Escape again to resume. I don’t think just minimising it pauses anything.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I don’t save / load flights very often myself, but what happens if you simply press “Escape”? (So the menu pops up)

I presume that will pause the time?

Then press Escape again to resume. I don’t think just minimising it pauses anything.

Regards

Steve

Thanks, Steve, but no cigar.

As I said (line 1), first I hit Escape. And no, it doesn't stop the clock from running -- at least not for me. On Day One back in August 2020, we all learned that ESC pauses the sim (unlike a soft pause where the plane stops moving, but everything else remains displayed). It pauses everything, that is, except the time. Of course, if you are not running a saved .flt or .pln, you can simply dial the clock back in your weather menu; but not in a saved flight, for reasons that remain mysterious to me.