VFR Flight Plan

All of my real flying experience was before GPS and glass cockpits, so I had issues with the glass cockpit aircraft in MSFS. After some time, I adapted to modern cockpits and was having a pleasant relationship with MSFS, including setting up GPS flightplans. This included the defining of departure points, in-route waypoints and destination for VFR flights. After recent MSFS updates, I can no longer set up a VFR flightplan on the World Map. Instead of a straight GPS path from the departure airport to the arrival airport when they are defined, there is a timed path from the runway and on approach and often a kink in the path between these:

fp1.JPG

A waypoint can be added beyond the runway takeoff as before:

fp2.JPG

An attempt to add a waypoint for approach to the runway results in a path from the timed approach away from the runway:

fp3.JPG

When the flight is started, the VFR map seems to show a proper path although the waypoints are not defined:

fp4.JPG

However, the autopilot follows the path shown on the World Map instead of what is shown on the VFR map. KPBI-TIME-CAFE-TIME-CD06-MYGF. There appears to be no way to define a flightplan path KPBI-CAFE-CD06-MYGF except for an IFR flightplan. I tried setting the IFR flight plan on the World Map with all appearing okay, then canceling the plan before takeoff. The waypoint before approach to the destination runway was eliminated.

I wasn't able to accomplish any navigation using the G1000 add-on and went back to the original, so all that is now happening is with the original G1000. Am I too stupid to use these instruments, or is MSFS broken?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

In most cases, the only way I can produce a VFR navigable route in the World Map useable by the autopilot is enter the arrival as a waypoint short of the runway rather than the airport itself, even if the waypoint is custom. I see from other threads that using the NXi version of the G1000 requires entering the flight plan in the device rather than using the World Map.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

In most cases, the only way I can produce a VFR navigable route in the World Map useable by the autopilot is enter the arrival as a waypoint short of the runway rather than the airport itself, even if the waypoint is custom. I see from other threads that using the NXi version of the G1000 requires entering the flight plan in the device rather than using the World Map.

Those TIME waypoints have really messed things up. Here is my workaround on the stock G1000:

In the plane, open up the flight plan on the PFD. It probably shows that you're current segment is from the last waypoint to your destination ( which doesn't make sense because you are still on the ground.) Use the knob to highlight CAFEN and then push to Direct To button and Activate it. The GPS will then cycle through your waypoints as you expected.

Enough of my bad-mouthing MSFS and myself. It seems every time they do an update, I have to learn things over again. I reinstalled the NXi G1000 display and it is working beautifully, just like the real thing according to the instruction manual. I set up a flight plan in the World Map with departure and arrival airports and waypoints. Even though it didn't appear correctly on the World Map, it did appear correctly when the flight was started with no input needed on the G1000, and the autopilot hit all the waypoints with no hint of the TIME legs. I am now a happy camper until the next update, but it would be nice if they could make the World Map work better.