G1000 autopilot and me are not on same page

let's see if I can explain this. While flying planes with G1000 instruments - Cessna 172 and Diamond DA40, I am having trouble getting the AP to follow a flight plan. The planes are default MSFS in the standard version. No addons installed.

I go to the World Map and set up a flight plan. Let me do an example that I just tried to fly. Flagstaff Arizona to Page Arizona KFLG tp KPGA in the GPS mode. On the DA40. Started up at the end of the runway for quick test. Set the altitude to 8600' on the AP. Take off and after initial climb set the AP to go to the altitude using VS and setting a climb rate . After reaching the set altitude, I hit the NAV button to go to the flight plan. Nothing happens.

I tried to attach a screenshot of the control screen but it says I have to reduce to 480 kb. Not sure how to do that without getting fuzzy.

The only way that I have been able to get it to fly to the destination is to use the Direct button (D with a line thru it) and use the knob to enter the code then hit ENT twice.

So is it me or what. This used to work better than this.

Pat

attached is view of G1000 screen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]227781[/ATTACH]

On the 2nd line in green it says GPS ROL AP ALT 8600ft

I think the sim is using the G1000 nxi from the Content Manager.

I’m not using the NXI version, but are you sure that you pushed the NAV button? It shouldn’t say ROL if you did.

Okay I have now learned better to add a screenshot. The JPG images work better. First image - at that point where I try to engage NAV - and fail. If I go to the Flight Manager (buttons above the FMS and push the Direct button, it looks like this. The first waypoint is already coded in and it says Activate? So if I press ENT - twice - it activates and starts following the flight plan.

Second image is what is displayed when following the flight plan about a minute later.

screenshot11.jpg

screenshot12.jpg

Pat

Cavulife, thanks for looking at this,

First question: yes I pushed NAV, and I can do it more than once. But nothing happens that I can see

Second question: not sure how to uninstall from Content Manager. Just delete the item

But see next post for some new info.

It looks like you're doing things correctly. I haven't used any addons so I'm not sure about how to uninstall the NXI, but if it shows in Content Manager then you should be able to do it there. If not then it probably shows up in the Community folder.

I would try the flight again after the NXI uninstall. If that works then you can try installing the NXI again if you want. I stayed away from the NXI because they actually called it a beta. Some will argue that the whole sim is beta, but when the designer calls out something as beta that's a little different for me.

let's see if I can explain this. While flying planes with G1000 instruments - Cessna 172 and Diamond DA40, I am having trouble getting the AP to follow a flight plan. The planes are default MSFS in the standard version. No addons installed.

I go to the World Map and set up a flight plan. Let me do an example that I just tried to fly. Flagstaff Arizona to Page Arizona KFLG tp KPGA in the GPS mode. On the DA40. Started up at the end of the runway for quick test. Set the altitude to 8600' on the AP. Take off and after initial climb set the AP to go to the altitude using VS and setting a climb rate . After reaching the set altitude, I hit the NAV button to go to the flight plan. Nothing happens.

I tried to attach a screenshot of the control screen but it says I have to reduce to 480 kb. Not sure how to do that without getting fuzzy.

The only way that I have been able to get it to fly to the destination is to use the Direct button (D with a line thru it) and use the knob to enter the code then hit ENT twice.

So is it me or what. This used to work better than this.

Pat

Let me explain what you should do to overcome the problem.

You are in GPS NAV mode (grey annunciation) - which is good.

For the GPS to capture the required track to the next waypoint you must fly in HDG mode [not ROL mode] towards that track with some intercept angle. When it captures the GPS annunciation will change to green and you should be good.

Pat,

It looks like it's an issue with the NXI. There is a thread over on flightsimulator.com about this issue, though it primarily talks about the NXI messing up the GNS planes.

You might try uninstalling the NXI.

Nothing wrong with NXi. Pilot error in this case

Let me explain what you should do to overcome the problem.

You are in GPS NAV mode (grey annunciation) - which is good.

For the GPS to capture the required track to the next waypoint you must fly in HDG mode [not ROL mode] towards that track with some intercept angle. When it captures the GPS annunciation will change to green and you should be good.

While that may be a good practice to fly a path that intercepts the planned flight path, I have had other results before.

Before SU5 and SU6, when I set up a similar flight plan and then hit the NAV button, it would turn the plane toward the planned flight path and if necessary fly an intercept at 30 degrees or so to reach the line of the planned flight path.

I have uninstalled the NXI version of the G1000 (just have to check it in the Content Manager and select Delete) and see what difference it makes. On a quick look I could see that the display on the right (the MFS?) was restored to how it looked before the update.

A new question. On the PFS display there is a green ring. It is on or close to the flight path, on all the screenshots I posted. What is the green ring?

While that may be a good practice to fly a path that intercepts the planned flight path, I have had other results before.

Before SU5 and SU6, when I set up a similar flight plan and then hit the NAV button, it would turn the plane toward the planned flight path and if necessary fly an intercept at 30 degrees or so to reach the line of the planned flight path.

I have uninstalled the NXI version of the G1000 (just have to check it in the Content Manager and select Delete) and see what difference it makes. On a quick look I could see that the display on the right (the MFS?) was restored to how it looked before the update.

A new question. On the PFS display there is a green ring. It is on or close to the flight path, on all the screenshots I posted. What is the green ring?

That green circle is the Flight Path Marker. I think it shows where the plane is really tracking with wind and climb/descent included. You won't see that after you deleted the NXI.

Is the AP acting as you would expect now without the NXI?

You are correct, that is how the legacy G1000 functions in the sim, which is not true to life. The G1000 NXi is developed by Working Title team, which are contracted by MS and is part of MS/Asobo. Ultimately the NXi would replace the legacy G1000 in the sim. Friendly suggestion, try to master the NXi. Also, all development work on the NXi would migrate at a later stage to the other Garmin avionics in the sim.

You are correct, that is how the legacy G1000 functions in the sim, which is not true to life. The G1000 NXi is developed by Working Title team, which are contracted by MS and is part of MS/Asobo. Ultimately the NXi would replace the legacy G1000 in the sim. Friendly suggestion, try to master the NXi. Also, all development work on the NXi would migrate at a later stage to the other Garmin avionics in the sim.

I have now tested with the NXi. Yes it does capture and switch to NAV when your plane approaches the planned flight path. So it works just as you stated. I understand that this also occurs with the more sophisticated functions for RNAV and VNAV. I don't yet know the details of setting up flight plans that take advantage. I'm usually happy to fly to a destination airport, fly a decent pattern and land without bouncing or crashing.

Pat