Windows 11 and VR

Yesterday, I took the plunge and updated to win 11. Took a while but no real problems and 'everything' (almost!) seems to be running quite normal. Except for WMR - Windows Mixed Reality. Windows 11 simply refuses to install it. A bit of time spent on Google soon revealed that it is a surprisingly common problem (but not for everyone?!) - and so far, there does not appear to be any kind of fix or workaround. I've tried all the usual - disconnect headset and try again. Unistall WMR and try again; but oddly the 'Uninstall' tab is greyed out! etc etc.

So now I have a choice. Revert to windows 10 (I made a clone on another disk first!). Or stick with windows 11 for a while, with a useless £700 HP Reverb G2 hanging next to me, and see what happens over the next few weeks. CHOICES, CHOICES!!

So let this just be a warning for anyone thinking of going the 11 route!

Happy flying peoples.

EDIT> Found this> https://windowsreport.com/cant-install-mixed-reality-windows-11/

Edited by GlennAir

Yesterday, I took the plunge and updated to win 11. Took a while but no real problems and 'everything' (almost!) seems to be running quite normal. Except for WMR - Windows Mixed Reality. Windows 11 simply refuses to install it. A bit of time spent on Google soon revealed that it is a surprisingly common problem (but not for everyone?!) - and so far, there does not appear to be any kind of fix or workaround. I've tried all the usual - disconnect headset and try again. Unistall WMR and try again; but oddly the 'Uninstall' tab is greyed out! etc etc.

So now I have a choice. Revert to windows 10 (I made a clone on another disk first!). Or stick with windows 11 for a while, with a useless £700 HP Reverb G2 hanging next to me, and see what happens over the next few weeks. CHOICES, CHOICES!!

So let this just be a warning for anyone thinking of going the 11 route!

Happy flying peoples.

EDIT> Found this> https://windowsreport.com/cant-install-mixed-reality-windows-11/

Thanks for the heads up, will save me a migraine. Sorry to hear your struggles, pretty disappointing outcome given how much WMR is a Microsoft venture.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

I now have Windows 11 on and no problems with WMR or the G2. In fact it’s running rather well!

How did you install Win 11?

I wanted to do a clean install and went for the ISO FILE route at first. I had an install error (which MS are aware of and will be fixing apparently)

I tried again, but using the Media Creation Tool - this time it installed without any problems. I installed MSFS… WMR… and it might even be running better than before.

One other thing.. when I first tried installing, it said my pc wasn’t capable of running Win11, but it was just a case of going into the bios and enabling PTT

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I plumped for upgrading 10. Thought a lot about a clean install, but last time i tried that with 10 it took me nearly 2 days to install all my stuff and sort out logins and passwords etc. Didn't fancy doing that again! (My fault for having so much c**p on here). I had the TPM thing, easiliy rectified of course.

WMR keeps insisting that it needs an update, and telling me to go to windows update..... tried that several times but no updates are forthcomming. Wont update via MS Store either.

i9 9600K @ 4.8 GHz. 32 GB Sys RAM. RTX3080Ti (12 GB VRAM). Got a couple of 1TB M.2 NVMEs. Corsair RM 850x Gold.

Hi Glenn,

I think the first thing is to find out why the uninstall button is greyed out. I’ve just checked mine & it’s available to press (not going to try it though)

What happens if you go into the add/remove programs page? Have you tried uninstalling it that way?

There are other methods. Maybe this will help… it’s for Windows 10 but it’s probably the same

https://windowsreport.com/uninstall-greyed-out-apps/

If you can uninstall WMR then (hopefully) reinstalling will fix it.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

You know what I would do… a clean install.

I know you don’t fancy that, but it’s the best way to do it.

Regards

Steve