Back In VR Business Again

Finally got my HP Reverb G2 VR Headset working again. I received it in April of this year and it quit working in June. Contacted HP who stated I have a bad cable. I eventually received a new cable a month or so later which did not fix the issue. The headset would not recognize any USB 3 port on my computer. Thinking there was a problem with my USB ports, I purchase a addon front panel with a bunch of USB 3 ports and broke some pins off my motherboard while trying to plug them in. So after saving up some money for s few months, I decided to upgrade and purchased an Z490 motherboard and Intel I9-10900 CPU. I also purchased another 1Tb m.2 SSD exclusively for MSFS. After installing the new parts into my computer and reinstalling everything, including MSFS, I was again sadly disappointed to find my G2 still would not be recognized by Windows mixed Reality no matter which USB port I plugged it into. I again talked to HP who decided to send me another cable, which were all on backorder by the way. After a couple of weeks I did some diagnosing on my own and determined the headset was faulty. I contacted HP again and told them all that I have done and think it's a bad headset. They sent me a box to ship it back to them. Four weeks later I received the new cable but did not open it as I had no headset to connect it to. Two days later I received a brand new replacement headset with an upgraded version 2 of the cable. Long story not so short, VR is back in business again. I haven't flown since June so I really missed it. My thanks to HP for all their assistance!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Congrats and glad for ya guy! I have a few questions for ya if you don't mind. How hard is it to use VR and not being able to interact with the rest of the hardware? Isn't it difficult not to use what your eyes see, but your hardware is controlling it? I would be all over the place! I get aggravated every time I have to interact with the mouse in the cockpit as I'm just starting to build up the HW. Now nwanerka has a setup I could really dig. As I'm all about the old school gauges and stuff. The visual appeal and seeing where your looking would be awesome for an up side. I checked out some VR in its infancy and it was impressive but the horsepower didn't seem to back it up yet. I'm sure its really smooth and perfected by now. Happy landings!

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

Granted I have to feel around to grab my yoke and throttle quadrant and mouse. But I am very familiar with their locations and where the buttons are located on the hardware so it is not too difficult. You get used to it and it becomes second nature. VR has come a long way and will continue to progress. I see you have a Logitech throttle quadrant. The handles are different shapes for the throttle, mixture and prop so you can feel the difference when you touch one and can easily identify what knob you have grabbed. Of course you usually have at least one hand on the yoke at all times so it is no issue. Very smooth flights now-a-days and it is very immersive. It looks very realistic and I sometimes try to reach out and touch something that is not there in reality. When I land I find myself physically lurching forward when I come to a full stop. That's how amazing it is! I haven't heard of nwanerka. Could you provide a link to it, please so I can check it out, please?

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Kevin, welcome back!!! :)

Im so glad you’ve finally got it sorted. It’s a pity HP didn’t just send you a new headset from the start.. but I’m glad they did eventually.

Hi Donnie, I agree with Kevin.. you soon get used to where your controls are. VR is amazing. I could never go back.

Within a couple of months of using MSFS, I upgraded my pc.. and bought three 4K TVs..3 Saitek panels..and a Saitek multipanel. The immersion was excellent.

Just a few months later and I got a Reverb G2 virtual reality headset. All the equipment I had just bought became pretty much obsolete. With the three 43” screens etc, it was like being sat in an aircraft.

With VR…. I AM sat in an aircraft!

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thanks Steve. It is very nice to be back. I am like you, once I went VR I can't go back. I haven't flown since my G2 went on the fritz. I can't fly on a flat panel monitor anymore. I have a favor to ask you, however. Our computer systems are very close to identical. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind posting your VR settings in MSFS and Openxr and Nvidia Control Panel if you use it? I have been watching several You Tube videos but all those guys have RTX 3080 video cards. It would be much appreciated.

Kevin

Hi Kevin, not a problem. I do occasionally experiment with the settings in the hope of even better performance, but they are currently set as follows:

Render scaling 75

Anti aliasing TAA

Terrain LOD. 200

Off screen terrain pre-caching. - currently on medium. I’ve tried ultra & low but can’t see any difference!

Terrain vector data. High

Buildings. Ultra

Trees. Ultra

Grass&Bushes Ultra

Objects LOD. 200

Volumetric clouds Medium

Texture Res. Ultra

Anisotropic filter. 16x

Texture S.sampling 8x8

Texture Synthesis. Ultra

Water Waves. High

Shadow maps. 2048

Terrain Shadows. 2048

Contact Shadows. Ultra

Cliff & the Shadows - sorry LOL

Windshield Effects. Ultra

Ambient Occlusion. Ultra

Raymarched Reflections. Ultra

Light shafts. Ultra

Bloom On

Glass Cockpit Refresh. Medium

OpenXR runtime version 107.2109.10010 API 1.0.18

Use latest preview - currently set to OFF due to problems with screen going blank every time, after the G2 goes on standby, since latest update - but was ON prior to that. It’s recommended you keep preview mode off for the time being.

Motion Reproduction - OFF

have you watched any YouTube videos by “VR Flight Sim Guy”? His videos are very good if you haven’t.

He (usually) likes motion reproduction on but does admit you can get a lot of artefacts and says some like it, while others don’t

I personally have tried on, off and auto but usually keep it off.

Both the advanced settings (display frame timing & jiggle view) set to Off

As for my NVIDIA panel, mine is currently just on default settings. I have Locked the fps in the past but that was before I was using the G2

As I say though, I do keep changing the settings :)

One thing I do recommend is that you reduce all the 2d (pc screen) settings to low or off. For some reason VR seems to work better. It’s certainly much quicker to load when you start a flight. You don’t have to wait a minute or two for VR to catch up.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Thank you very much for the info. Yes I have seen many videos from “VR Flight Sim Guy”. They are always very informative.

You’re welcome :)

Regards

Steve

Thanks again. It was a little choppy with using those settings from people who have the 3080 video cards. Now it is buttery smooth!

Kevin

Great! That’s good to know :)

Regards

Steve

I haven't heard of nwanerka. Could you provide a link to it, please so I can check it out, please?

He is another user on this forum. He has all the logitech gauges, stacks and AP set up like a real cockpit. He showed the pics on one of my post here VR will be way down the road, I'm starting of like a newb and reacquiring things as I can afford them.

Edited by DLR_41
rusty in forums

Dell XPS8490 12 Gen 11700 up to 5 Ghz., 48Gb 3200 RAM, dedicated 512Gb M2 SSD, AMD Radeon RX 6600 XT, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Logitech Multi Panel, Logitech Throttle Quadrant (X2), Growing slowly but surely!

I haven't heard of nwanerka. Could you provide a link to it, please so I can check it out, please?

He is another user on this forum. He has all the logitech gauges, stacks and AP set up like a real cockpit. He showed the pics on one of my post here VR will be way down the road, I'm starting of like a newb and reacquiring things as I can afford them.

https://www.banfflakelouise.com/lake-minnewanka

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Oh, I get it now. That is a Flightsim.com member. Yes, very impressive. I have a full size 737NG cockpit with all the switches, gauges and displays. I removed the 737 yoke and throttle assembly to install The Honeycomb yoke and throttle.

Are you the guy with the youtube channel that has the very realistic mock up? that thing is B!tchin if you are!!!

No that's not me. Maybe I can take some pictures and post them at some point.

I have a channel.. but I wouldn’t say mine was all that realistic.. unless I’m wearing my VR Headset :)

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve. I do watch your videos on You Tube. I especially enjoyed your video showing your cockpit setup. Very impressive.

certainly nothing to be ashamed of! I', in the vision of what I want and the reality of what I can afford. the grandbabies Bday wish list was fulfilled today so... no toys for pop pop!

Thanks Guys! :)

Regards

Steve