Lg 38gn950-b msfs2020 2070 super

I think we might need a more complete picture to give you informed opinions.

What monitor do you currently have? If it's not going to be a big improvement, it may not be worthwhile upgrading.

Also, since your other option seems to be upgrading the GPU, are you particularly unhappy with the sim's performance currently? Also, what CPU and how much RAM do you have? If an upgrade results in, say, a CPU bottleneck, then it's no use either.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

That's a nice system! Ok, so I'm not much of a monitor guy, but this is what I could figure out:

Screen size:

The screen you're looking at buying is a little taller (15.5" vs 14.6"), but much wider (35.4" vs 24.5"). This isn't obvious if you're only looking at one number (38" vs 27"), since the aspect ratio makes a big difference.

Resolution:

However, the 38" actually has a somewhat lower resolution (3840 x 1600 vs. 3840 x 2160). This is important, because it would seem that LG achieved a wider aspect ratio, by downgrading the vertical resolution - which isn't great. The implication is that the image won't look as crisp, probably noticeably. This is even moreso, since the vertical resolution is spread out over a taller screen. So fewer pixels per inch, if you will. This also means that your GPU would have an easier time driving this monitor, since it has fewer pixels overall to process.

Refresh Rate:

The 38" has a much higher refresh rate (144 Hz vs 60 Hz). I.e., on the 38" the image gets redrawn 144 times per second, while 60 times per second on your existing monitor. This may or may not be important to you. For flight simming, I'd say this is less important, but that's just me.

But with all of that said, I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money. I don't like the fact that the 38" would result in an overall resolution downgrade and there's a good chance that you'll notice it. On the other hand you have a pretty good GPU and single generation upgrades aren't always worth it; so I don't like that option either. GPU prices are currently pretty abysmal anyway.

Any chance you could save the money and buy RTX4000 or RX7000? They're not that far off and could present a much better value upgrade. Or maybe spend the money elsewhere? How about a nice flight yoke and/or rudder pedals and/or throttle quadrant?

Yeah that's probably a good option. I know very little about VR and have never used it (my geriatric GPU would crap itself if I tried), but there are some VR disciples on this forum that can help out with that.