MSFS 2020 Premium

Bought a nice new Asus laptop with windows ten and with the one month free xbox checked out the MSFS2020 standard edition. Have one month free. I do not play games but I have FS2004 ad FSX. I love the new MSFS 2020 so I want the premium edition but do not want to play through xbox and pay their monthly fee if I do not need to. What are my options and will I need to remove the standard MSFS 2020 before installing the premium edition. Where would be the best place to buy and download the digital edition as well.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Hi Mike, glad you’re sorted with the laptop & enjoying MSFS :)

There are a few posts on the official forum, from people asking if you can upgrade to the premium deluxe from the standard, game pass edition. Most are saying that you could only do that if you kept the Xbox pass going.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/purchase-of-premium-deluxe-version/295745

So, if I were you I would simply ordered the premium deluxe edition from the MS Store. I don’t know if you’d have to remove the Xbox one first. Maybe not if you’re logged into the store with the same account?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I believe I am signed in to xbox through my ms account.

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

I think what I would do is to cancel the Xbox game pass (when ready) & buy the premium deluxe version from the store. I’m guessing here, but I reckon you wouldn’t even need to uninstall or download the standard edition.. just the Digital Ownership.

What usually happens if you buy the premium deluxe (or the deluxe) is you download the “standard” edition, plus digital ownership.

You then launch the sim & after browsing where you want install it... it downloads the main part of the sim.

When you’re up & running, you download the extra (premium deluxe) stuff via the content manager.

In your case though, you will already have the main part of the sim installed so you may not have to do it again.

Then again.. it’s quite an easy processs should you have to reinstall it, albeit time consuming.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

That raises another question. Where is the best place to install it. I am just learning the windows 10 on this laptop and my windows 7 and FSX I know pretty well app data and all the addons like Active Sky, Rex all the MAIW and WOAI as well as all my Saitek control systems. I am using my Thrustmaster for the MSFS and it is pretty simple and pre-mapped but I don't even know where the file is located for the controls yet. I am learning though with help from this forum.

Mike G.

Some say just to let it install in its default location.. others say a second drive is best (which is how I’ve done it)

I created a folder on my second drive & called it MSFS

so it’s.. D:\MSFS which keeps it simple.

As a result, my community folder (where most freeware & some payware addons go) is simply D:\MSFS\Community

This makes it so easy to find, to drop addons into it if required.

Presumably your laptop will only have one drive though? If so, then I’d probably create an MSFS on the C drive.

But.. of course if you’ve already got it installed, you may not want/need to install it again.

As for the file which contains control data., I’m not sure either. I’ve a feeling it’s stored in the cloud (MS Servers) I’ve done several installs over the last 12 months or so (don’t ask why) and it always retains all the settings each time, even if the pc has been wiped.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

I like the fack it remembers settings. Because I have it installed via the XBox and will eventually want the premium licence to own out right if it is a way to go eliminate xbox in the equation all together. If I was younger had more time and played other games it wouldn't matter.

Mike G.