Here...I...go...AGAIN! (Steamed once more)

My MSFS Steam Edition worked fine yesterday. I took off for a sightseeing flight from a Chicago-area GA airport in a Cessna 152, flew down the lakeshore, looped around the Loop, and landed at O'Hare (RWY 27L). Then, after flying a couple of landing patterns at Watsonville in a Beech Bonanza, I flew to Salinas, pulled off a pretty decent ILS-guided VFR landing there, took off again and flew back to Watsonville. In other words, I put in more than an hour of flight time with no software hiccups.

But I couldn't even begin a flight on MSFS today. I was able to get to the World map, choose a plane, airport, and runway. But MSFS repeatedly crashed when I clicked "fly."

I had checked to make sure Windows was updated (it was). I'd also updated gaming apps in the MSFT store. I'd made one change to my PC since yesterday, installing an HP utility so I could scan a document to a cloud-linked folder. I uninstalled the HP app, rebooted the computer, tried to start a flight again, and MSFS crashed again.

Finally, I resorted to the "nuclear" option, directing Steam to validate my "local" files--whereupon it erased them and invited me to download the whole #$!!$??@ enchilada once again. (First, I checked the file path -- c:\user\appdata\roaming\yada\yada\yada -- to confirm that after the "validation," there was indeed nothing in the folder where a lot of stuff should've been.)

So instead of flying right now, I'm writing this rant while my PC re-downloads another 153 gb.

I knew why this keeps happening, but I don't suppose I ever will.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Don't try to validate in Steam. It breaks the installation. You should know this by now.

I feel sorry that you have to do the huge download and install again. :(

Yes, when you "validate" files in Steam, it eats them. They are not only toast; they are gone, period. My problem now is that when I reinstall MSFS, which I did more than once yesterday, it's still "broken." It crashes when I click "Fly" after selecting an airport and runway. I do not know how to resolve this, and I haven't found a solution anywhere. Steam does not offer support for MSFS, because for them, it's a third-party game. I have no idea why this is happening with my installation. Others on Steam don't seem to have a problem of this magnitude with MSFS. I have no add-ons, and other than a browser, antivirus software, and a couple of apps for MSFS--TrackIR and a Logitech app my flight panels--my PC is dedicated to MSFS 2020.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

I have mine installed with Steam, Which I have used for several other apps, including Civilization 6. The MSFS has been stable for me. I have once or twice exited the application and restarted it, or rebooted the PC. But I usually shut down every evening and do a fresh boot in the day.

Not sure what to tell you. Have you tried to get any support from Microsoft, or logged any tickets with them? Their site is flightsimulator.com . Not sure where trouble tickets get logged.

I have mine installed with Steam, Which I have used for several other apps, including Civilization 6. The MSFS has been stable for me. I have once or twice exited the application and restarted it, or rebooted the PC. But I usually shut down every evening and do a fresh boot in the day.

Not sure what to tell you. Have you tried to get any support from Microsoft, or logged any tickets with them? Their site is flightsimulator.com . Not sure where trouble tickets get logged.

Thinking I might have a hardware (GPU) problem, I contacted HP support...if you're still interested in my sob story, you can read the upshot of that here.

MSFS has so many problems, that it makes me feel better when someone has a lot more serious problems, than just the usual bugs/defects/dumb asobo decisions. I have steam too, and I hate it.

I’m glad I could help brighten your day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I would just like to say I have been using Steam for various games for the past 15years and had no real serious problems ,but when MSFS came out I made a conscious decision that what ever happened I would not use the steam version I really think MSFS 2020 is to complex for Steam .

For gods sake don't try to validate files the msfs app is spread all over the place and steam cant access them all,just back out of steam sign out if you think it might help reboot your PC.

If you want to check your GPU etc here is a great free prog for doing that its perfectly safe https://www.ocbase.com/ just download it have a check with it and see what you find .

Kind regards

Andrew