I flew for over an hour today from Watsonville to Fresno with no problems. But after I landed and tried to return to the main menu, MSFS froze. So I control-alt-deleted out of it and returned to Steam to launch the program again. Not happy with my landing at Fresno, I "filed" a flight plan from Watsonville to Monterey with an ILS approach. Taking off, everything seemed fine, but soon MSFS crashed to desktop, again. So I exited everything and restarted my PC. When I got back to the main FS menu, I saw an option to "validate" the software, which I ignored, choosing instead to start a new flight from Watsonville to Monterey. But when I took off, I noticed stuttering where before everything had been smooth. So I quit the flight, exited MSFS and restarted it, this time "validating" it on the main menu first. Took off again, flew to Monterey, botched another landing, taxied to the ramp and saw more stuttering. Not happy, I quit MSFS again and, against my better instincts, went back to Steam to check the program files' integrity. And just like yesterday, Steam apparently deleted all my files and now I'm downloading the whole cotton-picking program for the second time in two days.

Is this an issue with Steam or Microsoft? Have folks here who purchased MSFS 2020 through the MS store experienced such frequent desktop crashes? Would I be better off junking Steam altogether and repurchasing MSFS from Microsoft?

Color me extremely peeved.

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

Hi Steve,

I have the MS Store version and I have to say it’s running fine for me. I haven’t done too much flying lately though for various reasons.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi As I have said before I have used steam for games for 12yrs and am quiet aware of the trials and tribulations of steam.

I am not sure but could it have something to do with the uploading to cloud to backup your files for msfs 2020 ,the sim doesn't seem to be like other games on steam and stores files all over the place, I would suggest when you have time going through the settings in steam, but with this being a App it might well work different, are you sure you are checking the integrity of Local files ? Steam can be a pain I know but I have several simulators I play through steam on a regular basis, but I never contemplated getting MSFS 2020 on steam I was adamant I was going to get the disc version I feel as though I have something and feel in control of the sim it can get frustrating relying on software , but I have never had to use the discs again to do a re-install .The sim for me is playing very well (Touch wood )

Loads in under 2 minutes I would recommend if you were going to change go for the disk version of course this might not be possible for you just an idear :)

Kind reagrds

Andrew

Hi As I have said before I have used steam for games for 12yrs and am quiet aware of the trials and tribulations of steam.

I am not sure but could it have something to do with the uploading to cloud to backup your files for msfs 2020 ,the sim doesn't seem to be like other games on steam and stores files all over the place, I would suggest when you have time going through the settings in steam, but with this being a App it might well work different, are you sure you are checking the integrity of Local files ? Steam can be a pain I know but I have several simulators I play through steam on a regular basis, but I never contemplated getting MSFS 2020 on steam I was adamant I was going to get the disc version I feel as though I have something and feel in control of the sim it can get frustrating relying on software , but I have never had to use the discs again to do a re-install .The sim for me is playing very well (Touch wood )

Loads in under 2 minutes I would recommend if you were going to change go for the disk version of course this might not be possible for you just an idear :)

Kind reagrds

Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. I would have gotten MSFS on discs if I could have, but MSFS 2020 is only available on disc in Europe, including the UK. Us American cousins can only get it from the “cloud.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HP Omen 25L Desktop, Intel i7-1070 CPU, 32 GB DDR RAM, Nvidia 3070 GPU, 1 TB SSD, Logitech flight yoke, throttle quadrant, rudder pedals, multi-panel, radio panel, TrackIR 5

hi I forgot about the disk version not being available in the good old USA I don't see the reasoning there ,I do apologise i just assumed that you were in the uk. I hope you can get it to install and work ,Did you know you can install steam on any drive you wish not sure about external drives ,I have 2 ssd drives I have msfs2020 on 1 and steam on the other i have windows etc on a m2 drive .

When you install steam and you get asked for a path to install just tell it where you want to install it, and if i were you I wouldn't try to verify your files it as never been a good thing ,I have train sim and it takes ages and doesen't tell you much lol

If you download Steam do it from the valve/Steam website not some bogus site but I expect you know that not much more i can say to help you I don't know about USA but in europe the steam downloads have been very slow. Just take your time when downloading and you should be fine. I wish you luck and if you feel I can help anymore don't hesitate to ask I don't mind .

Kind regards

Andrew