I'm unable to use MSFS 2020 in VR mode.

I've been flying in VR mode for a couple of weeks now. Today when I booted up MSFS 2020, I got the welcome screen to come up just fine. I pressed the map window and then the Ctrl+Tab key combination to take me into VR. When I attempt to put on my VR mask the cursor disappears, the screen goes black, and then I'm connected to my Microsoft mixed reality portal.

The cursor disappears even before I get the headset fully on. It only takes the very top of my head being inserted into the headset, and I can watch the cursor disappear. If I continue to place the mask fully on, I soon find I'm in Microsoft mixed reality portal.

This has happened many times before, but I've always been able to spend the next half hour or so playing with it to finally get myself able to fly in VR. But not today. Any suggestions?

What VR headset do you have? Anything change since you used VR the last time? That sort of happened to me last week. I have an Oculus Rift S and it works fine. Then One day I turned on VR in the sim and it went to Oculus main screen instead of in the cockpit. Apparently there was a warning message waiting. I pressed the CTRL TAB key twice and I got back into the cockpit. After I quit MSFS I checked the warning message. It was a warning the batteries in the hand Oculus hand controllers were dead and the software couldn't detect them. Fresh batteries fixed it. I don't know if your problem is similar but that was my experience.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I use an HP Reverb headset.

I was aware of the problem with accidentally trying to access the VR mode in anything other than the full-screen mode. So before I pressed the Ctrl-Tab key combo I pressed the ALT-Enter combo to verify MSFS was running in full screen, rather than a window.

When I booted the program up today there was a notification of a major update. I clicked the update button and about a half-hour later 25gb had been installed. There had been a notification that if this update caused the program to take much longer to load I was to find a certain folder called "community", remove it, and place it in a different place, and then reboot the program. I purchased MSFS 2020 through the Microsoft Store. I was unable to install the program on my C drive because of its large size and instead put it on a secondary hard drive. When I searched for the "community" folder on that drive the search turned up nothing.

Edited by terryleemartin

Hi Terry, installing MSFS on your second drive is perfectly ok. Depending on the location of it, you should be able to find the community folder without having to do a search.

The location of mine for example is simply: D:\MSFS\Community

Unless you’ve got a ton of addons in the community folder then I wouldn’t even worry about moving it anyway. Even then, it might not matter.

As for VR, I too have the Reverb G2. What I tend to do.. is go into the WMR screen (by putting the headset on) while Flight Sim is loading up, but I don’t press flight sim’s VR key until flight sim is ready.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Not a problem Terry. Glad to help.

Happy flying :)

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

• 4 weeks later...

Following Oculus advice, this is how i liaised with them and finally solved the problem:-

Thank you for your reply. I hope you are doing well.

I appreciate you sending us a video of the issue you are experiencing. Let me go ahead and assist you further.

Kindly provide me with your Oculus Log files for me to review them.

Here are the steps to gather your log files.

1. Open the Run window (Windows key + R).

2. Enter and run: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusLogGatherer.exe

· The above link is the default directory. Bear in mind that if you installed Oculus Home to another drive you will need to update the command with the correct file path.

3. Select the checkbox next to ‘Full logs’.

4. Select "1 day" from the "Collect last" drop down list.

5. Wait for the log collection to finish. This can take some time to complete.

6. The program will automatically generate a zip file containing your logs, which will be saved to your desktop automatically.

7. Attach the newly created zip file to your next support response.

Also, Kindly enable the Public Test Channel for your Oculus Rift S.

Here are the steps:

To enroll in the Oculus Rift S Public Test Channel:

1. Open the Oculus app on your PC computer.

2. Select Settings in the left menu.

3. Select the Beta tab.

4. Next to Public Test Channel, click to enroll.

Once enabled you may receive an update on your Oculus Rift S headset kindly apply the update and try again the app.

We look forward to your reply.