Help! How Can I Get Back to Default Scenery for New York City?

The default bridges were terrible, with the notorious black bars under the roadways. So I downloaded from the familiar site flightsim.to a supposed "fix" from a developer whose stuff has worked fine before.

After the install, everything was even worse. The bridge superstructures were missing, as was the new World Trade tower, and many other familiar details.

So I shut the sim own, and deleted the new DL from my Community folder and reopened. But the deletion had no apparent effect. Maybe the install did something to the default that mere deletion of the install cannot reverse.

I would be happy to get back to where I was! Can I get back to the default without a total reinstall of FS2020? (I hope so.)

Thanks all,

Mac6737

One thing that might be worth a try is to delete your rolling cache.

It is under Options--General-Data

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thank you, Stinger, but I hesitate to do stuff that I do not understand. I found my rolling cache file in Local Cache. It is a "CCC" file (whatever that is) and has over 8 gigs in it. What would I be deleting? What could go wrong?

Also, please tell me why you suggest this. As I said, I removed the scenery I think is the culprit* from my Community folder. Why wouldn't that take me back to where I was before I installed it?

Mac6737

* I think this, because the developer's description specifically mentioned improvements to the NYC bridges, and those were disastrously degraded after the install. But I neglected to mention in my OP that after the install, when I opened MSFS, there was a mandatory update, which self-installed.

You dont have to go file searching. This is an in-game option.

In the game go to Options from the home screen . Then General . Then Data. Inside there you will see there is a button to delete the rolling cache.

I suggest this because i had a similar problem recently and this sorted me out.

It doesn't always work but you can do no harm if you follow my instructions.

It is only worth trying if your rolling cache is set to ON, which you should see just above the delete button.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You dont have to go file searching. This is an in-game option.

In the game go to Options from the home screen . Then General . Then Data. Inside there you will see there is a button to delete the rolling cache.

I suggest this because i had a similar problem recently and this sorted me out.

It doesn't always work but you can do no harm if you follow my instructions.

It is only worth trying if your rolling cache is set to ON, which you should see just above the delete button.

Regards

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stinger,

Yes, yes, your instructions were perfectly clear, and I had no trouble finding the setting. And yes, my Rolling Cache was On. I was just wondering what exactly I am deleting 8 gigs of.

You needn't reply. I will do a bit more research and then decide whether to try it.

Thanks again.

Stinger,

And yes, my Rolling Cache was On. I was just wondering what exactly I am deleting 8 gigs of.

Just for information the Rolling Cache is where the programme "stores" downloaded data that may be used again so that it doesn't have to redownload (thus using up data allowance etc) every time its needed. Depending on the capacity you set, it will eventually be overwritten if not used again. There is no danger in deleting the Rolling Cache, it'll just mean the sim downloads what it wants if it can't find it in the "cache".

In fact some say that not using the Rolling Cache makes the sim run better - certainly if it contains something faulty, such as you are possibly experiencing, it gets rid of it for you. Personally I've got the space on a fast Ndve SSD but not the fastest internet speed so in theory for me it's a no-brainer. I do occasionally empty it though if I'm experiencing problems - doesn't always work.

Just a last reminder, if you delete the Rolling Cache but want to carry on using it you must switch Rolling Cache back on and set an allowance - 8Gb is the recommended setting but, up to a certain point, more might be better (I use 32Gb 'cos I can!) Too much and your machine may spend longer looking in the cache than it takes to redownload it.

With great misgivings, but after due diligence and research, I deleted my RC.

No effect on my problem whatsoever! I cannot fathom how a DL supposed to upgrade the NYC bridges (specifically GW and Verrazano) managed to actually degrade those two, plus eradicate many features along the waterline (e.g., the tennis courts built on the reclaimed land south of the GW Bridge), and almost all of the taller buildings south of 34th Street, including WTC.

As far as I know, everything else in the sim is fine, and MUCH better than it was 4 months ago. Maybe I have a form of FS OCD, but the fact that I cannot enjoy flights in ONE city (OK, my natal city, but still . . . ) irritates me disproportionately.

Any other ideas will be pursued with a passion.

Why would deleting rolling cache restore an installed scenery?

Maybe you should just ask the developer at the site you downloaded it from if he could help you out and/or look at possible comments made at that scenery.

My experience is that most of them respond and are more then willing to help you out.

17-10700K, RTX3060TI, 32 ram, 500G M.2 SSD. Windows10, MSFS on 500 SSD

Why would deleting rolling cache restore an installed scenery?

Because the sim may be calling up and displaying previously used visual information rather than creating new material.

It sounds like a good guess to me.

I was jealous that I didn't think of it.

i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

I suppose another solution which would result in changing the cached scenery is to go flying in another part of the world for a while then come back to where the problem exists. Worth a go but if deleting the cache didn't clear it I am not sure how you would do so.

I had a similar problem with a payware airfield and in the end the developer had to change a couple of offending texture files that wouldn't purge from the sim. Though i didn't try the flying elsewhere trick.

Good luck

Stinger

I suppose another solution which would result in changing the cached scenery is to go flying in another part of the world for a while then come back to where the problem exists. Worth a go but if deleting the cache didn't clear it I am not sure how you would do so.

I had a similar problem with a payware airfield and in the end the developer had to change a couple of offending texture files that wouldn't purge from the sim. Though i didn't try the flying elsewhere trick.

Good luck

Stinger

Yeah, I've done that. I now understand the logic of purging the Rolling Cache: maybe deleting the scenery from Community wouldn't effect what was stored in the cache. But I'm back to thinking that the install somehow deleted default texture files and failed to replace them.

What's weird is that the area south of about 34th Street has buildings all over, but not the tall ones, and not in the detail you see N of 34th.

I'll try contacting the developer.

Thanks for trying.