Which aircraft associated files to backup

I want to reassign some keyboard keys for quick views of specific instruments.

I have watched a video which shows how that is done but note that often the keys have been assigned to something else for example a flight control surface.

Which file(s) contain the keyboard mapping (key assignments) for an aircraft which I can backup in case I mess up the reassignments or just simply want to return to what they originally were.

Thanks

John

John

Gigabyte Z390 UD Intel Core i7-9700K 3.60 Ghz Dual 16Gb DDR4 2666

Gigabyte RTX2060 OC 6GB 2 X 256MB SSD drives 1 X 500GB HDD

Windows 10 64bit Home Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick

I want to reassign some keyboard keys for quick views of specific instruments.

Which file(s) contain the keyboard mapping (key assignments) for an aircraft which I can backup in case I mess up the reassignments or just simply want to return to what they originally were.

I believe the files you are looking for are in the OFFICIAL folder, which I try to avoid venturing in to. All your existing Control Assignments are backed up in the cloud. Which does not mean if you make changes, to the existing Control Assignments, a duplicate exists that you could revert to.

For your particular case, I think it would be better to simply make a duplicate of your current control settings, and give it a new name before you make changes. You can do this from the Preset Manager (OPTIONS|CONTROLS) look at bottom left of screen. That way you can always return to your original profile (right/left arrows below assigned device).

I believe the files you are looking for are in the OFFICIAL folder, which I try to avoid venturing in to. All your existing Control Assignments are backed up in the cloud. Which does not mean if you make changes, to the existing Control Assignments, a duplicate exists that you could revert to.

For your particular case, I think it would be better to simply make a duplicate of your current control settings, and give it a new name before you make changes. You can do this from the Preset Manager (OPTIONS|CONTROLS) look at bottom left of screen. That way you can always return to your original profile (right/left arrows below assigned device).

Thanks for that. The

mentioned something about setting up keyboard 'profiles' which I didn't quite understand (or was not explained clearly) but will go back and try and work it through. Is that what you mean't (ie setting up keyboard profiles) and if so can any particular profile be set as the default (ie MSFS2020 will always start using that profile)?

keyboard control setup.jpg

After I posted/started this thread I also searched where my FS2020 is stored and navigated to the folder for the A320 (asobo-aircraft-a320-neo/simobjects/airplanes/asobo_a320_neo/ then subfolders such as model, panel, sound, sound.ai, and files such as aircraft.cfg) but I could not remember if I ever new which folder/file contained the keyboard data. I wondered if I could simply backup the entire subfolder (as above) BUT your idea is better.

Thanks

John

Edited by jparnold
add question at bottom

John

I have now moved forward on this and done some web searching and 'played' with the PRESET MANAGER which I had not noticed before.

I selected CONTROLS > KEYBOARD > PRESET MANAGER > DUPLICATE and gave the new profile a name and found that all the keyboard assignments for the DEFAULT keyboard were then in that profile. I will now make my changes to the new keyboard profile knowing that if required I can delete it and go back to the default profile.

I am yet to work out out how to set a keyboard profile as the default for the aircraft and can only assume the that whatever I choose (and highlite) becomes the default for that aircarft - yet to test that out.

Thanks for pointing this out to me as I have yet to find instructions on the use of Preset Manager and what it is used for.

Edited by jparnold
add second last sentence

John