FS2020 Fails to Start - Stuck on the Japan Volcano Image!

Good morning all,

Never had a problem starting FS2020 until today! When I try start FS2020 all seems to proceed as normal until I get to the full-screen image of a Japanese volcano! The music continues to play and the volcano image remains - forever if I left it that long!

Any ideas?

Thanks

Have you installed the latest patch?

The last patch I installed was the Japan scenery as far as I'm aware.

Are you running FS20 from a cold boot of the PC?

Yes, switched on, booted up as normal, started FS2020 and stuck on the image.

Steam or MS Store version?

MS Store Premium version.

I usually expect to see the message "Checking for Updates" but doesn't get that far!

Do you have sh*tload of stuff in your Community folder? All of that has to load before you can get to the home screen. And that stuff loads kind of slowly. Also, how big are your cache folders?

Do you have a good internet connection - at least 25mibs?

Whats your CPU? How fast is your RAM?

Is your installation on a SSD or HD?

All of these things affect how fast the program loads.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

This problem has been widely reported with many solutions.

Have you installed the update that became available yesterday? If not, try that before anything else.

I had this problem for a week, before the latest update. It happened in Windows 10 v. 1909, but updating to v. 2004 didn't fix it. For me the solution was to uninstall the Discord app. This is listed somewhere on the MSFS Zendesk page as sometimes causing conflicts. Also, the XBox Companion appears to work better for downloads/installations/updates than the Microsoft Store. For that App or the Microsoft Store, logging out and then back into your account helps.

Also take a look here:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319

Mike

I have tried 25 times to get past this. Clean cache, 76mibs internet, 3000 speed ram 32GB, fast M.2, nothing in the community folder.

Maybe the load on the MS servers is too great?

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Unless soneone has a better idea (and I'm sure there are lots of them), you might try to "Repair" the installation from the Programs Add/Remove section of Settings. CLick on the MS FLight sim, there will be a "remove" and "Repair" buttons. Choose Repair.

But, wait till others confirm or have other ideas first.

PS. is your Windows 10 up to date? are you on 2004?

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Yes Windows 10, 2004, with latest updates.

I still wonder if it is a server issue? Try 26 and 27 also failed.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

The key is to reboot your computer before starting the program. I had nothing in the community folder, but a reboot anyway solved the problem.

As a former IT professional, I can tell you now, that 98% of all hardware issues are solved by a reboot of a PC or if possible, the connected device. Problem with your phone? reboot... problems with your WifI? reboot your router. Problem with your printer? reboot. The other day my Sirius XM was acting funky in my car... pulled over... shut my car down, restarted - problem solved.

This should always be step ONE in every chip based device problem solving procedure.

Please take a look here - recently updated:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016930319-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-does-not-load-after-the-Press-any-key-screen-Windows-10-2004-OS-Build-Version-

Here if you scroll down to the bottom you will see a list of programs (including the Discord app) known to cause conflicts:

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015879160-How-to-troubleshoot-crashes-CTDs-at-the-loading-screen

There are other suggestions as well, some of them useful.

Mike

Well, I have no idea how I solved the issue but it's now loading properly and the latest update is installed!

My internet connection is good at approx 72Mbps

My laptop is plenty powerful being an i9 processor with 32Gb RAM etc etc.

I had tried many of the suggestions - reboot from cold - using Task Manager to end FS - and other things. Then all of a sudden it decided to work!

Strange!

Thanks for all the advice.

Stay Safe