FS2020--problems...

Looking for general guidance. Downloaded and installed FS2020 Premium today. The game works, but very poorly. Multiple problems:

1) Painfully slow. I am on new-ish Dell computer. Intel i7-9700 CPU @ 3.00GHz; 16 gigs RAM, and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card. According to Microsoft, this is well above minimums specs, and probably at/near recommended specs. I have set all game settings to lower levels. But my frame rates still appear to be about 5 FPS or less in populated locations. If I change airports or change missions, the game take 3 or 4 minute to reload. What did I do wrong? Would more RAM help? Or do I need to shell out for a better graphics card?

2) Joystick control. The game says it recognizes my joystick, but it doesn't work. Granted, it's an old joystick (Cyborg Graphite--2006 vintage) but there must be some way to make it work? It would help if I had an instruction manual . . . Ideas? New joy stick?

3) While I am waiting for an instruction manual to be posted online, can anyone tell me how to toggle the frame rate counter? Used to be Shift + Z, if I recall. Now, like so many functions, it has changed.

Guidance, please. Thank you!

You need a better GPU. You should be fine on RAM. When I run MS2020 I use about 10GB of RAM on Ultra at 1440p. I only get around 40FPS but I'm practically maxed out so its fine. Also, support for modern HOTAS is exceptional. My TM Warthog HOTAS is already preconfigured without messing around in settings. Grab a decent, modern HOTAS and you should be fine.

Well, MS2020 is kinda demanding if you want all the eye candy. RTX 2080 Super or RX 5700XT. nVidia drivers are more reliable but AMD cards are more affordable. Both the RTX 2080S and the RX 5700XT are great options for 1440p gaming.

If you're strapped for cash and need a new HOTAS I recommend ThrustMaster's T.16000M HOTAS. It's not the greatest but for the money its a solid buy. ThrustMaster also makes an AirBus HOTAS for $10.00 more than the T.16000M HOTAS but I recommend the T.16000M over the AirBus.

2) Joystick control. The game says it recognizes my joystick, but it doesn't work. Granted, it's an old joystick (Cyborg Graphite--2006 vintage) but there must be some way to make it work? It would help if I had an instruction manual . . . Ideas? New joy stick?

I have an Saitek Cyborg Evo. It's working well now but you must reasign all functions. Take me around 40min to do this.

I have an Saitek Cyborg Evo. It's working well now but you must reasign all functions. Take me around 40min to do this.

I don't suppose you could release a profile and information on how to load it for those that are having trouble doing it...would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Ian

- Take off is optional...BUT landing is mandatory -

Even if it was just screen shots or a list for example:

Ailerons Axis = Joystick L-Axis X

I have tried to set the throttle on the Saitek Cyborg Evo Force but no luck

Regards

Ian

- Take off is optional...BUT landing is mandatory -

For the joystick problem there is a simple fix that worked for me, and many others.

Do NOT connect the joystick.

Start the game

Once it has loaded, go to Options, Controls

The Mouse and Keyboard will appear, but no stick

NOW plug in the stick

After a few moments, the game should recognise the stick and offer the default settings

The default settings will be fully assigned

Now click on the options to Add a configuration, use "copy default"

Save your copy of the default settings

Now you can leave it plugged in. When you start, it will have empty assignments (it is a bug), but Load your saved configuration

can anyone tell me how to toggle the frame rate counter?

MSFS can display the FPS when in developer mode, but the easiest way is to press Win+G

then click the performance tab.

You can even capture video using this too.

Regards

Steve

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles