Sloping water problem

I've seen the answer. I've looked for it for two days and can't find it. Can anybody point me to the right cure for water running up slopes near the shore? Seems like it had something to do with an edit to the scenery.cfg file but I didn't have the problem so I didn't pay much attention to the cure.

I fly mostly out of Mobile Downtown (kbfm) and there is a small drop to the water at the edge of airport property. I have water climbing up that small cliff, and I have it in other airports near rivers and/or sea side.

I'm using FSX Steam with Dx10 and Steve's fixer. I'm also using GEX and Ultimate TerrainX. It might have been happening for a while but I just noticed it the other night when I took off to the south and looked back. So no clue whether or not the addons caused it, but I don't think they did.

Hi Hossfly,

Rather than write out the whole answer, howto fix "Hydro Polys climbing slopes".

If you hop on over to AVSIM library https://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=fsx_modified_terrain_cfg.zip&Author=&CatID=root

There is a full explanation in the fs_x_modified_terrain_cfg.htm

supplied with the Adam Szofran, Richard Ludowise and Luis Féliz-Tirado modified terrain.cfg

Download the package fsx_modified_terrain_cfg.zip from the avsim link above, read the notes, make a backup of your original Terrain.cfg in fsx installation root folder before using mod cfg or editing with notepad.

1 small caveat: when using the mod .cfg for the first time and before opening FSX where Orbx or any other scenery software mod are installed that add their own custom entries to Terrain.cfg you should always open Orbx Central first to sync (syncing adds those custom entries back into the modified terrain.cfg) and correctly identifies the default texture count.

I can't remember if you can just edit the entries in your default Terrain.cfg preserving the present custom entries, or if you need to install the modified one to make these changes effective. There is a side effect to this mod/edit and that is while Hydro Poly water slopes is applied with (_0) you will notice you loose the mid river rock polys smooth water follows the river vector, but gain water polys climbing slopes at a small number of locations on default scenery and mesh.

removal of _0 from 6 specific water body definition sections will retain lumps of terrain (rock polys in water on rivers) but loose the Hydro polys climbing slopes.

As exampled in the .htm notes.

Edited by jethrom

Hi Hossfly,

I took a few pictures from KBFM Brookley Downtown Mobile and Bay area I have no trees or Landclass in the water or in the bay. I don't use UTX or GEX, I am using Orbx FTXGlobalBase and Default FSX for this area of the USA. Pics show modified state with Water poly on slopes and the terrain.cfg state for the 6 entries, and then the FSX default state (Rock) terrain.cfg for those same 6 entries.

You will notice also that in my Default state pics there is still a slight water poly on the slope for Rwy32 Mostly (rock) but not nearly as much as when the _0 is applied (Water on slope).

Did you use the modified Terrain.cfg or just remove the _0 from those 6 entries in the default unmodified terrain.cfg.

If you have also Orbx, did you do the sync thingy.

Below is an extract from my Modified Terrain.cfg, I also use Orbx with custom entries. Shown are both states for water poly on terrain slope or No water Poly on terrain slope. You would not have both states in the .cfg at the same time for those 6 entries either with _0 (Water) or without (Rock).

Below example: Using Modified Terrain.cfg these 6 entries from [Texture.194] to [Texture.199] as installed (Modified Terrain.cfg with (_0) No Rocks in rivers, But Water on Slopes)

// Hydro Polygons - Default - Perennial

[Texture.194]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Default_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={CB2D5672-CCBC-429B-BA43-2EA24E37EF4C}

LegacyId=1209

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 //(Modified Terrain.cfg with (_0) No Rocks in rivers but Water on

Size=4

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Bay/Harbor - Perennial

[Texture.195]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Bay_Harbor_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={8F1CD843-CAB1-434A-9E78-A6A1DAD4ED2E}

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 //(Modified Terrain.cfg with (_0) No Rocks in rivers but Water on Slopes)

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Lake - Perennial

[Texture.196]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Lake_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={BCD5C182-9C8B-4C57-97BD-272CF492CBFF}

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 //(Modified Terrain.cfg with (_0) No Rocks in rivers & Water on Slopes)

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic River - Perennial

[Texture.197]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_River_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={E5DD8B66-8E86-4E7E-BE58-6E94A91C8FF0}

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE_0 //(Modified Terrain.cfg with (_0) No Rocks in rivers but Water on Slopes)

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Canal/Channel - Perennial

[Texture.198]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Canal_Channel_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={C4E055AB-0855-4D5C-8FB9-3318E1C8AB8A}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Ocean - Perennial

[Texture.199]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={2D103429-89EB-4CB3-A61E-E188E79C77E7}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

2020-6-12-14-27-2-844.jpg

2020-6-12-14-28-24-507.jpg

Default FSX Terrain.cfg - These 6 entries from [Texture.194] to [Texture.199] (FSX default -No (_0) Rocks in rivers & No water on Slopes)

// Hydro Polygons - Default - Perennial

[Texture.194]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Default_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={CB2D5672-CCBC-429B-BA43-2EA24E37EF4C}

LegacyId=1209

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE //(FSX default -No (_0) Rocks in rivers & No water on Slopes)

Size=4

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Bay/Harbor - Perennial

[Texture.195]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Bay_Harbor_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={8F1CD843-CAB1-434A-9E78-A6A1DAD4ED2E}

Textures=OCEAN_SEA_LARGE_LAKE //(FSX default -No (_0) Rocks in rivers & No water on Slopes)

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Lake - Perennial

[Texture.196]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Lake_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={BCD5C182-9C8B-4C57-97BD-272CF492CBFF}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic River - Perennial

[Texture.197]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_River_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={E5DD8B66-8E86-4E7E-BE58-6E94A91C8FF0}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Canal/Channel - Perennial

[Texture.198]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Canal_Channel_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={C4E055AB-0855-4D5C-8FB9-3318E1C8AB8A}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

// Hydro Polygons - Generic Ocean - Perennial

[Texture.199]

Name=Hydro_Polygons_Generic_Ocean_Perennial

Color=FF2938FF

guid={2D103429-89EB-4CB3-A61E-E188E79C77E7}

FlattenMode=slope

FlattenPriority=41000

ExcludeAutogen=Yes

RenderToTexture=Yes

RenderPriority=81000

Water=Yes

2020-6-12-14-47-46-848.jpg

2020-6-12-14-46-12-999.jpg

Edited by jethrom