Seeing double

Prostock

I have 2 sometimes 3 DEFAULT AI flying together. Sometimes I'll see 2 or 3 WOAI flying in tandem as well but more Default planes than addons. Same aircraft, same departure, same destination. Not all the time, depends on where I'm flying. Kind of like seeing a UFO. I know I did something wrong with Flight Plans loaded in scenery/world/scenery............ Just don't know what or how to resolve. What do you think?

I've had that happen to me a number of times. If it happens all the time after you've been moving files around, I'd suspect two copies of the same traffic file in different folders. For me, it's always been more of a 'glitch' that didn't happen the next time I restarted the game. Is this an on-going problem suddenly for you?

AI traffic is just 'moving scenery'. They work in ANY scenery folder setup. Their DEFAULT location is scenery/world/scenery but you can put them in any valid scenery folder and turn them on/off at will like any other scenery.

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Hello Loyd - It's an on-going issue. Not a big deal as most AI seem to be flying solo and not in a pack. I'd like to resolve it if I could though just because it's one of those annoying things, "if it's not right, fix it". How would I located Duplicate Flight Plans? I know they can't exists in the same folder, so where to look. Thanks

Easiest is a windows search for files containing the word 'traffic' that's used in most traffic file names. If you find something other than in scenery/world/scenery, perhaps that's the culprit.

Look for a duplicate, but mis-spelled traffic filename.

create a couple of scenery folders; move ALL traffic files to set A; leave disabled; run sim. If any traffic shows up, you're got another traffic file somewhere.

place 1 appropriate traffic file in the second; activate and run. Look for duplicate traffic. Rinse, repeat

L

OK, probably no "easy" way. I, personally, would attack it like this.

Find a time and place where I could see the duplicate flights. Save a flight at this location in slew mod facing the oncoming double traffic. Disable joystick/yoke with CTRL+K so you don't move except with keyboard (you need to stay put where the duplicate are visible). Adjust the saved flight time so that the duplicates are visible soon after you spawn in with the saved flight.

Try to eliminate suspect traffic files...

If I see the duplicate flights over the US and the Flight info shows American flight 2394 then probably no WOAI traffic files for Africa, Asia, Europe, etc are involved. But just to test, try just them in an active scenery folder with all other traffic files in an inactive folder. If no duplicates show, they may be good, but keep them out of the way in a storage folder.

You'll only have ONE active scenery folder with traffic in it. NOT scenery/world/scenery - get all traffic into folders that you control.

You can move traffic into a folder and reset the scenery when adding traffic to a folder, but you have to de-activate that scenery folder before you take traffic OUT of it. Now move about 10 traffic files at a time into the active scenery folder, restart that flight and wait for the traffic to come. If there's no traffic or no duplicates visible after a few minutes then these 10 are probably ok. deactivate; remove to a temp storage location and process the next 10. You repeat this until hopefully you find a group that exhibits the problem so you know that the problem may narrow down to one of those 10.

You can also start with all and REMOVE 10 at a time until the duplicates disappear; Then you know there's a problem with one of the last 10. Add them back until you find the one that triggers the duplicates.

It's surely a pain. I'd probably do it because I'm a little OCD but it's certainly your choice. If it only bothers you a little, let it go. Choose your battles: not much pleasure in winning battles that don't matter.

L

Loyd - Thank you for your in-depth resolution explanation. It is appreciated. Yes, I'm OCD as well, it does not bother me that much but would be nice to resolve just because it's a challenge. I might try this but not today. I have another question which I will make a new post for. Thanks again