Why these annoying (sky) colour changes?

martinstebbing

This is a problem I have been trying to solve for some years (literally), with no success. Every now and again it starts to really irritate me again and I have another go at solving the issue, obviously failing, thus far, and then posting about it like this, in the hope that someone may know a cure.

It seems to be related to ActiveSky (AS6.5), since I don't get the problem if I close that programme down. At least the flashing back and forwards stops if I close down Active Sky. I have tried changing a number of settings - including changing my minimum visibility to above 10NMs. I know AS6.5 is not supported now and the servers are no longer giving real-world weather data, but it still gives very good offline weather (I have hundreds of saved wx files to choose from!) and if it weren't for this issue I'd still be very happy to use it. I am not wanting to 'invest' in a replacement programme at this stage, BTW..

Well, the problem is simply that the colours and/or the brightness, of the sky keeps changing, not just in flight but on the ground as well. I can't work out why FS9 and/or AS6.5 can't make up their mind as to what to show! The switching back and forth is usually about every 15" or so, but it can be every 5". Whatever, it's really irritating!!

I attach screenshots... the differences are much more noticeable in FS9 of course, with the flashing back and forth, but I think you can see what I mean.

Thanks!

Martin1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

A common problem, and one that doesn't seem dependent on what weather program you use. As it was described to me ages ago, FS applies weather by cells, if you happen to be right at the border of two cells FS may decide you are in "cell A', ten seconds later it considers you're in "cell B", another five seconds it places you back in "cell A", etc.; the weather graphics - clouds, rain, etc. - may not change but ambient conditions - light, contrast, fog - do. An extreme example of this is when one cell has overcast skies and the adjacent cell has clear skies, fly from one to the other and there is little transition, the change is instantaneous.

Have you started flights (created, saved) using the clear weather theme in FS before activating AS?

Does not using the ASG65 graphics package supplied with AS65 help?

Just a couple of thoughts.

KMSP - Minnesota: Land of 10,000 Puddles

Support Team

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have Active Sky 6 too and I agree it is annoying, I like the cloud effects it gives then it lets me down by suddenly changing, it isn't like it is gradual, it changes like a light switch.

Funny I started a flight the other day in a thunderstorm, black clouds and raining, then the sky cleared and went blue but it was still raining lol.

Have you started flights (created, saved) using the clear weather theme in FS before activating AS?

I haven't tried that.. I see that if you refresh AS6.5 having set a FS9 weather theme, the radio button (in world/weather) automatically moves down to user-defined weather. I hadn't noticed that before; I'd assumed that setting an FS9 weather theme disabled any external weather engines. Apparently not.

Does not using the ASG65 graphics package supplied with AS65 help?

Again, I'll try that out. I have always forced AS6.5 to use GE Pro, as I have it, but I can try the AS6 graphics instead and see what happens. I also have REX Clouds installed: at the moment I am not sure what grahics is showing up in the sim, to be honest!

This is an intermittent issue, so it may take a while to see any definte changes, but I'll post back with any conclusions when I have any.

Otherwise, I have dozens of extra FS9 weather themes (AVSIM download??) which I can try instead of AS6 - but perhaps this problem is one with the FS9 weather engine and not specifically with Active Sky, as you say.

Thanks for the replies folks..

Martin

Didnt see the issue here with AS6, but now its obsolete.

Anyhow, I used the weather themes in the download you mention, and they have issues.

Clouds often above FL350, and rigid wind shifts.

The weathermaker tool in the avsim library doesnt install in Win10.

Anyone got any luck with that ? would a VM help with XP ?

And more important, how to get an metar on an airfield when using a theme ?

I use As6 and have not upgraded and won't. The only problem I seem to have is always having a whitish sky. I have clouds and sky set to Real Weather. Even onn a clear day with no clouds my sky is too white. I also see the constant popping from overcast to clear to overcast. I have just learned to live with it. I don't want to plop down money to upgrade and still end up with the same issues.

I did a few tests today and tried the 'Clear Sky' in the sim then loaded AS6. What happened to me was the clear sky turned grey with no clouds just a blanket of grey.

So I then altered some of the weather settings in the display at the start of the sim, I found they play a part in what AS6 seems to load, or in my case they did any way.

I also thought that FSUIPC weather settings might also play a part, perhaps conflicting with these other settings I don't know.

It is mentioned that AS6 servers no longer play a part, forgive my ignorance but where does it get the info from because when it loads it says it is connecting and gathering information?

I don't want to plop down money to upgrade and still end up with the same issues.

No, my feelings precisely. ASE is pretty old now and not really 'cheap', but I guess for FS2004 there isn't (and never will be now) much choice. If I knew that ASE would solve all my weather issues I'd probably buy it - I fly FS9 every day, almost literally, and having good, realistic weather is obviously very important. I am not bothered that much, as I think I said, about having real-time weather: if I fly around India in monsoon season and it's not raining in FS9, it's no big deal! (I can always choose torrential rain from within the sim). But all this flashing between colours and haze layers coming and going is of course ridiculous and kills any sense of realism...

..where does it get the info from because when it loads it says it is connecting and gathering information?

I have never enquired as to which server supplied the AS6.5 weather data, but although the programme shows that it is loading current weather, you can see that it isn't because the wx code in the AS6 info pane is always stuck at the same time index.

Thanks again for the input. Other comments much appreciated (especially from any out and out fans of ASE! I could, possibly, be persuaded. Maybe???). Meanwhile I am going to try the REX weather engine, which I haven't used for ages, and see what that gives....

Hi Martin, I bought REX a while ago and for some reason I took it off and went back to AS6, I can't remember why now but it must have glitched or something on my system but it may well work on yours as each is different as you know.

My REX won't connect and download the weather data. I tried 'all the usual stuff' - firewall etc. I've emailed REX support so will have to wait to get the programme working beforeI can remind myself of how it works, it's some years since I used the weather engine.

Hi Martin, I bought REX a while ago and for some reason I took it off and went back to AS6, I can't remember why now but it must have glitched or something on my system but it may well work on yours as each is different as you know.

For me REX took an infuriatingly long time to load; it also did unpredictable things when playing with color options (at one point, trying to improve rivers, it made the entire gulf coast look like a cesspool). I returned to AS but keep REX installed for its graphics, particularly clouds.

I returned to AS but keep REX installed for its graphics, particularly clouds.

Pretty much what I have done over the last few years... but have been using REX again for the couple of days (updated to latest version) and am quite impressed with the results, especially the current real-world weather engine. I am using it instead of AS6.5 and if all continues to go well, will continue to do so.

Archived