Which section to post question?

dernster

I am very new to this site. I have Jeppesen flight simulator hardware and software. The problem I am having is the software will no recognize the cdrom drive. I was wondering which part of the forum would be the most appropriate to present the questions with all the sordid details. Any direction on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Denny

• Founder

Hi Denny...

Thanks for asking. Unfortunately, the Jeppesen flight simulator is not something that is often discussed here. I'm not sure but it may be that another web site would be a better place to ask about it. To ask here, the forum you are in now is OK or the "Outer Marker" forum would be OK too.

I am very new to this site. I have Jeppesen flight simulator hardware and software. The problem I am having is the software will no recognize the cdrom drive. I was wondering which part of the forum would be the most appropriate to present the questions with all the sordid details. Any direction on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Denny

It sounds a techy problem, so it'd be a good idea to ask in one of the computer help forums, I recommend the Bleeping one-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/

Their 'External hardware' section would be a good place to ask.

I've been a Bleeping member there for years and they usually get me out of trouble..:)

...........software will no recognize the cdrom drive..........

Hi Denny,

Welcome to the forum.....

Some CD/DVD basics that may be the cause of your problem.....

Regions - Most CD/DVDs are coded for a specific region and the drive that is being used to 'read' the disk must be set up for that region.. For example, Region 1 CD/DVDs are for use in the US (and Territories), Canada and Bermuda but if you live in Europe then the Region is 2 - a Region 2 CD/DVD player will not run/recognise a Region 1 formatted disc.

The problem is more widespread that you would think, in this day and age where you can buy software from anywhere on the internet. So, the problem could be this if you live in one region and brought the product from a retailer in another region or, indeed, even if you brought it from the developers own website, they only provide the product in a format recognised by the region they are located in - an example of this is the backup disc options used here at the affiliated FSPilotShop, the disc are supplied in Region 1 format (I know this because I brought FS Genesis World Mesh a few years back and opted for the discs over a hefty download).

Solutions -

1. Verify the media region and then either sort out a replacement OR

2. Change the region setting on the CD drive (Right click on the drive icon and select properties. On the General Tab, double click on the CD drive entry. On the new window click on the DVD Region tab - read the instructions carefully and make your change.

3. Buy a cheap USB CD drive and carryout 2. above.

WRT options 2 and 3 - Note that you can only make a maximum of 5 changes. After change number 5 has taken place the drive will be assigned to that region forever. My suggestion would be to go for option 3 and then you can leave it at the new region.

Another possible cause, especially if the drive is a relatively modern model built in the last 36 months or so, is that the drive is having difficulty in recognising older CD/DVD formats. Over the years disk formats have changed and some of the newer drives have been designed to work with/recognise these newer formats and can sometimes 'struggle' to recognise and load older formats. Most drives eventually recognise and load but it can take a longer period than normal, so leaving the disk to whirl away may eventually see results.

Regards

Brian

Archived