Boy, did I screw up

astroavion

So after buying a new computer, buying FSX-SE, and getting it to work using MAIW, WOAI and GA-Traffic program for GA, I could no longer install scenery due to Microsoft's wonderful admin privilege BS. I searched the forums and found out NOT to install it in programfilesx86 folder. So after a month of getting everything allegedly working, I learned that FSX needs to be installed in another directory besides the ProgramFilesx86 folder.

So today I decided to uninstall everything and try to put Steam into C\: root folder. I did this.

I installed FSX-SE and it auto-installed into the Steam folder as expected.

However, I now try to install UTX and the installer cannot find FSX-SE. Nor can it find where my scenery.cfg is located.

This has become a total mess. I have my scenery.cfg file in the main FSX root directory. It is my understanding that neither the fsx.cfg file nor the scenery.cfg file should be in the main root directory, but there it is.

There is no way to tell UTX where the scenery.cfg file is located.

I have read endless posts suggesting a whole slew of things to "remedy" this, but I don't want to start screwing things up worse.

I would suggest to not install FSX-SE into any other folder besides where it is supposed to go, but then you won't be able to add scenery. Now I am wondering if it is my new computer that is the problem, Windows 10, Steam version, UTX, or my own ignorance (the most likely).

For now UTX can't find FSX, or scenery.cfg.

I am now wondering how many other problems I will have in the near future as I try to install my REX, ASN, and other add-ons.

Any questions or suggestions besides buying another brand new computer, or re-setting my computer to factory zero? (I tried this on my old laptop, and of course, resetting it to factory zero didn't even work properly.) At this point I feel like putting myself into a coma for about 30 years and when I wake up, maybe all these issues will be sorted out and a user-friendly flight sim will be invented by then, ha.

Thanks.

Andrew

Using Windows 10.

Now, I only have the boxed version of FSX, and am not sure if this applies to the Steam version. But, when you install the boxed version, at the end of the installation it launches a flight with the Aircreation Ultralight, and it is important to fly around a little bit with this, maybe 30 seconds, and then shut FSX down. After this I reboot, but opinions are divided as to whether this is necessary. Only then do I start installing anything else.

What this does is ensuring that the proper registry entries are written, so that for instance UTX can find FSX....

Jorgen

you are looking in the wrong place for the scenery.cfg file.

The one you found is only there as a backup. Leave it as it is.

In this link you find all paths for where the files are that are actually used. Including the correct location to look for the scenery.cfg file.

http://fsrijnmond.airworld.nl/FSX%20Steam%20se/How%20To%20Install%20FSX-Steam%20Edition.pdf

The problem with the registry entry's seems a bigger issue though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I re-installled FSX back into the x86 folder. The first time I did this, I had only folders that said FSX rather than FSX-SE.

After I tried installing in the C\: root folder, I had the above-mentioned mess.

So, now after re-reinstalling it back into the x86 folder, I am seeing two folders, one FSX and one FSX-SE.

Man, what is going on with this thing?

I tried installing UTX and it still cannot find the scenery.cfg

Maybe I'll just say screw UTX and wait til I can afford to buy ORBX products. But it is my guess that I will have similar registry problems.

I found a webpage describing how to properly uninstall FSX and followed all those steps, removing the HKEY stuff and all the associated folders - ProgramData, App Data/roaming and Local etc.

I used CCleaner afterwards as per those instructions. Now I am having all of these problems.

Is it possible to reset a computer back to factory zero? Like I mentioned above, I tried on my old laptop and it completely did not work. I was left with personal files and folders still, etc.

I'd just buy XPlane but I enjoy reality where there are four seasons in the world and I hate the way you control the flight controls; with the box on the windscreen and the mouse. I always fly using only keyboard/numberpad and I like how Microsoft and P3D enables this.

More thanks,

I tried all of the above suggestions. Maybe I'll have to just reset my whole computer to day one.

To take you back to the basics, when you install a game from steam. You have to designate where you want the downloads to go to. I have my FSX going to program files (x86) then steam will set up a path steam apps, common, fsx. This is where you should find the scenery.cfg file. The fsx.cfg file is in another location. C, users, appdata, roaming, Microsoft, fsx. I would suggest uninstalling fsx and then let the steam installation install fsx where it needs to and when completed run fsx by itself without any addons. Then check your files that they are in the correct position, then try putting in your UTX.

GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU@4.2GHz

Memory: 16.00GB Ram

Resolution: 3840 x 2160, 30Hz Seiki 39†Monitor

Operating System: Windows 10 Home Edition

I understand. I did indeed re-install Steam and FSX to the default locations yesterday. The only reason I had taken them out of there and moved them to the C:\ drive to begin with was I was having trouble with not being able to add sceneries due to the Admin Privilege UAC/BS whatever it's called not letting me update scenery upon startup.

Now that I have everything back where it goes (x86 folder), I am waiting to see if the Admin BS starts popping up again. So far I've had no trouble, other than now not being able to install UTX. UTX is not finding the scenery.cfg folder in the hidden ProgramData folder, which I have un-hidden and am sitting here looking at the scenery.cfg file in that folder. Why it cannot find it, I have no idea. I am planning today to just do away with UTX, as much as I like it. I guess it was a waste of money, in my case anyway.

Further concerns are now - if I spend the money for ORBX, will I be running into the same issues? I am assuming my registry somehow got totally screwed up. I have used the Flight1 Regedit program with no luck. As I do not have a degree in computer science/programming, I can't figure it out.

Not even sure what the proper question to ask would be to remedy this. Very disappointing that after 30+ years of using flight sims, we still do not have one that works without all these hassles. But it is what it is. I got 30 years use out of it and I guess I should be thankful for that. But this kind of thing really takes the wind out of my sails.

I highly doubt I can ever set this one month-old new computer to factory zero without complications such as those I had with my old laptop trying to do the same. For now, it looks I will have to deal with fake roads and other missing features.

Oh well. Thanks for your suggestions.

Andrew

Also, now I cannot seem to save a scenario as a default startup. I have a plane sitting on the ramp in Dayton for my startup, but whenever I start FSX, I get the ultralight tryke sitting in Washington state, the default startup scenario. The "Make this the default flight" box doesn't seem to work. I had previously saved a default scenario, and when I go to load, the choice is in a brown color as if something is not being recognized. All other saves to the fsx.cfg file seem to stick, but not the default startup choice. I am baffled.

This new computer might be going hind-end over apple cart down a mountainside if this continues. lol

smh

I can't reset my new (8 month old) Dell Alienware to factory since the new Win10 upgrade.

I like the idea about the 30 year coma, only I think we said the same thing 30 years ago. When I was a kid I figured we'd have perfect phone service after 40 years. How wrong was I? Although, I don't think I expected to have video chat and what we can do now blows away anything from the 60's. There are just too many switches in our computer systems.

Try SceneryConfigEditor and FSXCFGEditor and what they said. I have a Steam computer running Standard SP2, but am just now looking into the differences between Standard, Accel and Steam.

Good luck,

Phil

I just found a tool from MS under Start Fresh with a Clean Windows install in the Settings\Update and Security\Recovery tab- I'm not going to try it and you've probably already found it. Cheers.

...but am just now looking into the differences between Standard, Accel and Steam.

Well, I can't speak to the other two, but FSX:SE is essentially FSX Gold.

SP1, SP2, Acceleration, all in one package. Plus, there have been a few adjustments made by Steam to make it work more reliably. Fewer crashes, fewer OOMs, things like that. Plus, it's a good deal less expensive than buying FSX in a box, as a general rule. Frequently on sale for $9.99, or even $5.00.

Also, now I cannot seem to save a scenario as a default startup.

If you have it installed in (X86) folder I am not surprized. Windows has severe personal problems permitting changes to anything in that folder. If you insist on installing it there, the best way to make a change to something is to copy it to desktop, change it, save it, copy it back. Not an easy way to change a default flight.

Does that answer that question?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Archived